Forums > Game Forums > Unreal > Opinions from FPS fans?

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 11/7/2011 11:20 AM · Permalink · Report

This one was the last on the list of "must check out" FPSs for self-educational purposes... and I'm left with mixed feelings. It is gorgeous and the atmosphere is sometimes mesmerizing. But... I can't shake off the feeling of having played a tech demo.

Any opinions about the game?

And what about the sequel? Is it worth playing?

Zovni (10504) on 11/7/2011 1:19 PM · Permalink · Report

You are pretty much right on the money on the whole "tech demo" thing. The best part of the original is the first encounter with the wolverine-like creature (skaarj? or something like that).

The sequel is a generic-fest. Probably the most forgettable top-shelf sci-fi shooter ever. With some really ill-conceived gameplay gimmicks (such as hybrid rts/fps sequences) and a laughable concept. Its worth playing for the ending though. Its a uniquely poignant and melancholic finale to whats essentially a B-movie shlockfest.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 11/7/2011 4:56 PM · Permalink · Report

The sequel's vistas were very pretty for the time, but that's all I remember. The Crysis of its time, maybe?

Still haven't played the first Unreal.

Rola (8483) on 11/7/2011 3:18 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]I can't shake off the feeling of having played a tech demo.[/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] Bingo. The whole promise of the title was new groundbreaking effects etc. Exotic sci-fi would be another.

Personally I require something else from FPS games. I want some tangible weapons, recreated with the right in-game look&feel (good example: MOH:AA, bad example: Deadly Dozen). Doesn't always have to be Mauser 98k or BAR (although nothing gives me more kick than manually repeating scoped rifle), even E-11 blaster rifle from STAR WARS (yes, Dark Forces again) feels more "real" than all those goo-guns etc. from Unreal etc.

Patrick Bregger (300001) on 11/7/2011 5:13 PM · Permalink · Report

I only played the first levels, but it didn't manage to grab me. I own the sequel but did not play it yet.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/7/2011 5:23 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, the sequel is made by Legend Entertainment. It can be considered an example of how the talented have to sell out to survive. I didn't personally find it compelling enough to play long enough to form a valid criticism. Big boobs can only do so much.

St. Martyne (3648) on 11/7/2011 5:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Completely agreed. During the early days I always thought of Unreal as of a more atmospheric sci-fi Quake alternative. Even though the original Quake is still the most atmospheric of them all.

But then Half-Life arrived and Unreal went into the whole Tournament phase so now I don't even bother reminiscing about it.

Sequel is crap. Don't bother.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 11/8/2011 5:31 AM · Permalink · Report

I already wanted to dismiss the game as a tech demo, but the beauty of its world gets to me. There is something uniquely appealing in this exotic alien world. The gameplay is truly nothing special, though. Just a more coherent Quake.

In short, mixed feelings.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 11/8/2011 8:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I have about three copies of the game (one of them, tellingly, came as a tech demo with a graphics card) but I don't think I ever played more than half an hour into the game. It was too fantasy-like and alien for me, I like my shooters with at least a dash of realism (I also hate the Xen levels of Half-Life). Just never really got into it. I played Unreal Tournament a lot more, where the scenario doesn't really matter anyway. I even have Unreal 2 and UT 2004, but never installed them.