Forums > Game Forums > Vagrant Story > A rare dungeon-crawler with substance AND style

Cylentstorm (21) on 5/18/2012 11:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Vagrant Story was remains as one of my most memorable experiences in gaming. Yes, it has a steep learning curve. Do you know what kept me motivated to overcome that obstacle? The story--that just so happens to take place in Ivalice--my favorite fictional universe ever created by Squaeresoft, or Squenix, as I like to call them now. Ivalice was also the setting for Final Fantasy Tactics (and several offshoots.) It also provides the backdrop for Final Fantasy XII, which was the last good game in the core series (and yes--FAR better than X--shoot me later fanboys.) The Disney taint is barely present, and does nothing to ruin the overall experience.

But it was Vagrant Story that introduced me to the rich lands of Ivalice through the twists and turns of its understated plot. I will be forever grateful to the VS team for that. It's a deep game, and worth exploring past the initial beating that the combat and crafting systems are capable of dishing out to the unsuspecting adventurer.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/19/2012 2:00 AM · Permalink · Report

You should submit a review of this game. Just like I did a few days ago... Hmmmm... :)

Lain Crowley (6629) on 5/19/2012 4:36 AM · Permalink · Report

I got more enjoyment out of the demo disc it came with than I did from the game itself.