Shark Trap (VIC-20)

Visual
Gameplay
Written by  :  Katakis | カタキス (39781)
Written on  :  Dec 08, 2018
Platform  :  VIC-20

read more reviews by Katakis | カタキス

Summary

A nice little game from Romik

The Good

I was going to add a new entry under the name of Shark Attack, but I didn't know it had an alternate name of Shark Trap used for the US market. This game was written by Clifford Ramshaw who also created the wonderful Scramble clone, Martian Raider, along with two other games.

Like many games released around the same time, Shark Attack has a simple concept. You are a scuba diver who has been thrown overboard by some pirates into shark-infested water, and the object is to use your “atomic net” to surround these sharks and prevent them from breaking free. You have to cover most of the screen to get to the next level, where it gets more difficult and several octopi are introduced.

The octopi themselves are drawn nicely, and you also get treated to a nice nuclear explosion if you come into contact with any enemy. As for the sound, I love the nice little ditty that serves as the background music, but I don't know if it is a loop from a real song. It doesn't reset when you lose a life.

The Bad

Too bad I can't say the same about the other graphics. Your scuba diver looks nothing more than a rotating shuriken, and the sharks actually look like arrows.

The Bottom Line

In my opinion, Shark Attack is a great game from Romik, one of the small developers that made some interesting games for the time. As a scuba diver, you need to snare the sharks with your atomic net, covering most of the screen to progress to the next level, where octopi are introduced into the mix. The graphics are a hit and miss, while the repeated music doesn't get boring. A must have game for the VIC-20.