Steam Store Description (from Ad Blurbs)IMPORTANT: As the game is in Early Access phase, please read carefully the Early Access disclaimer before buying the game to make sure it matches your expectations.
We Happy Few is the tale of a plucky bunch of moderately terrible people trying to escape from a lifetime of cheerful denial in the city of Wellington Wells. Set in a drug-fuelled, retrofuturistic city in an alternative 1960s England, you’ll have to blend in with its other inhabitants, who don’t take kindly to people who don’t abide by their not-so-normal rules.
"Right out of an Orwellian nightmare" - IGN
***What is available in the Early Access game so far:***
1960s Dystopian England
Set in a retrofuturistic 1960s, you will find a city ravaged by war and rebuilt by delusionally happy people. Everything appears to be happy in Wellington Wells, including the roads, the people, and its omnipresent television personality, Uncle Jack! However, it’s a beautiful world on the brink of collapse. You will discover the history of this world, and how it came to be just so beguilingly happy.
Suspicion and Joy
We Happy Few is about surviving in and escaping from a procedurally generated world, where you must learn to hide in plain sight. If you act out of turn, or you’re not on Joy (the local happy pills), the locals will become suspicious and will rapidly turn your frown upside down! Forcefully. You will need to practice conformity, stealth and combat if you want to survive long enough to escape.
Play it your way:
- fill your basic needs (hunger, thirst, and sleep) to survive,
- learn how to interact with the other members of your society, and choose stealth, conformity or combat,
- encounter dozens of in-game unique events,
- conform to the specific local habits by learning to behave accordingly, and taking your Joy,
- collect recipes, scavenge items and craft dozens of weapons, tools and devices,
- fight with your bare hands or the crazy weapons you create, and
- watch out for traps, or learn how to use them to your advantage.
"A mad, mad world to explore, made anew every time" - iDigitalTimes
***What will be available only at full release:***
A Mature Story
We Happy Few’s characters are not typical video game heroes. They are flawed and not particularly heroic, warped by the trauma their world has been through. Each character has their own storyline that reacts to the events of the world around them, and their place within it. Our stories are definitely not appropriate for children, but are laced with dark humour, hope, and even a spot of redemption.
In the final version of We Happy Few, you will experience:
- a procedurally generated world, meaning that everyone’s experience will be unique,
- a range of difficulties for new and experienced players alike,
- permadeath, if you want to satisfy all your masochistic needs,
- three modes: sandbox, story and Wellie mode,
- a unique soundtrack, and
- a fully voiced, cinematic, first person story.
"Visually unmistakable and genuinely amusing" - The Guardian
There are no user screenshots for this game
Part of the Following Groups
- 3D Engine: UnrealEngine4
- Crowd funding (successful)
- Gameplay feature: Hunger / Thirst
- Game Preview games
- Middleware: Wwise
- Steam Early Access games
- We Happy Few series
There are no reviews for this game.
|GamesRadar||Xbox One||Aug 09, 2018||80|
|GamesRadar||Windows||Aug 09, 2018||80|
|IGN||Windows||Aug 10, 2018||7.3 out of 10||73|
|PC Games (Germany)||Windows||Aug 17, 2018||68 out of 100||68|
|4Players.de||Windows||Aug 15, 2018||68 out of 100||68|
|4Players.de||Xbox One||Aug 15, 2018||68 out of 100||68|
|GamingTrend||Windows||Aug 09, 2018||65 out of 100||65|
|TrueAchievements||Xbox One||Sep 03, 2018||3 out of 5||60|
|Video Chums||PlayStation 4||Sep 07, 2018||5.8 out of 10||58|
|XboxAchievements||Xbox One||Aug 16, 2018||40 out of 100||40|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Ban in Australia (May 2018)Despite receiving an R18+ rating in the country, We Happy Few was banned in Australia in May 2018.
Unbanned in Australia (July 2018)Following a successful appeal by publisher Gearbox Publishing, LLC the above ban was lifted and the game was allowed to be purchased in Australia to consumers above the legal age of 18.
Related Web Sites
- We Happy Few (official website)