DescriptionWii Sports is a compilation of small sports games designed to be a showcase for the Wii's motion sensitive controller. Each game has several practice modes, and there is a Fitness Age feature to measure your daily improvement at all games.
- Tennis: A game of doubles. Swing the remote like a racket to play.
- Baseball: The computer automates the running and fielding. The player either pitches or bats.
- Golf: Swing the remote like a golf club to play through the included 9 holes.
- Bowling: Play a regular 10 frame game of bowling by swinging the remote like you're rolling a bowling ball.
- Boxing: Punch, defend, or lean, with the remote and nunchuk used to control both in-game hands.
- "Wii 스포츠" -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Console Generation Exclusives: Wii
- Games referenced in movies
- Nintendo Selects releases
- Touch! Generations games
- Wii franchise games
- Wii Sports series
|A more then generous introductory free game to the Nintendo Wii||STU2 (72)|
|Hooray For The Pack-In Game!||Guy Chapman (1997)|
|Eh...||Jungle Jim (306)|
|TheHDRoom (HDR)||Feb 03, 2008||8.9 out of 10||89|
|GameTrailers||Nov 16, 2006||8 out of 10||80|
|Fragland.net||Dec 25, 2006||79 out of 100||79|
|Cheat Code Central||Nov 22, 2006||3.9 out of 5||78|
|GamingExcellence||Apr 06, 2007||7.7 out of 10||77|
|Meristation||Dec 04, 2006||7 out of 10||70|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Nov 23, 2006||7 out of 10||70|
|FZ||Dec 11, 2006||70|
|1UP||Nov 18, 2006||6.5 out of 10||65|
|EL33TONLINE||Feb 20, 2007||60|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Some qwiik questions||4||St. Martyne (3649)
Jul 21, 2008
1001 Video GamesWii Sports appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
- The 9 holes of golf Wii Sports includes are taken from Nintendo's NES game Golf.
- The white building in the background of the tennis game is Nintendo's Japanese headquarters in Kyoto.
References to the gameIn the movie Tropic Thunder Matthew McConaughey's character can be seen playing Wii Sports' tennis and bowling games. It also appears in the 2009 movie (500) Days of Summer, the 2010 movie Somewhere. and Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
SalesIn 2009 it was announced that Wii Sports had officially become the biggest selling Nintendo game, outdoing Super Mario Bros. in sales in just two and a half years. This was due to the fact that the game is bundled with the console and is counted every time a console is bought. However, by the end of 2008, Japan had sold over 3.2 million copies of the game (it is not bundled with the system in Japan). As of September 30, 2015, according to publisher Nintendo, the game reached 82.72 million copies sold worldwide.
- 2006 – #3 Biggest Wii Game of the Year
- 2006 – #2 Biggest Surprise of the Year
- 2006 – #3 Most Innovative Game Design of the Year
- 2006 – #3 Best Party Game of the Year
- 2007 - Winner in the Sports; Innovation; Gameplay; Multiplayer; Casual; and Strategy and Simulation categories.
- 2007 - Nominee as Best Game
- Golden Joystick Awards
- 2007 - Family Game of the Year
Related Web Sites
- Iwata Asks - Wii Sports (NCL president Satoru Iwata interviews Katsuya Eguchi, Zenichi Yamashita & Takayuki Shimamura of Nintendo EAD's Software Development Group No. 2 & Keizo Ota of Nintendo EAD's Design Technology Group.)
Joshua J. Slone (4664) added Wii Sports (Wii) on Nov 20, 2006
Credits (124 people)
117 developers, 7 thanks
Taeko Sugawara, Jun Takamura, Tomomi Iwasaki, Masaaki Ishikawa, Ryo Tanaka, Hirotake Ōtsubo, Miki Watanabe, Mari Shibata