Mario Kart DS Trivia (Wii U)
1001 Video GamesMario Kart DS appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Multiplayer hackIn late 2005, hackers, with the help of the homebrew 'Passme" device for the DS, were able to successfully implement a hack that would allow them to play the additional 12 tracks in online Wi-Fi mode. This does not only apply to a single device. As long as one person in the game has the hack, all of the players can race on these maps. As of this writing (Dec 2005), Nintendo has made no official announcement on the issue but it seems likely they'll fix this issue on future Mario Kart DS carts and possibly begin banning hackers from Mario Kart similar to what Bungie did with Halo 2.
ReferencesMario Kart DS marks the first appearance of R.O.B. (Robotic Operating Buddy) as a playable character. R.O.B. originally appeared as an accessory to the Robot Series of games for the NES, and has made subsequent non-playable cameo appearances in other games.
SalesAccording to publisher Nintendo, Mario Kart DS sold 23.59 million copies worldwide (as of September 30, 2015).
- 2005 – Best Nintendo DS Game of the Year
- 2005 – Best Racing Game of the Year
- GamePro (Germany)
- February 23, 2006 - Best Handheld Game in 2005 (Readers' Vote)
- 2005 – #4 Game of the Year
- 2005 – Nintendo DS Game of the Year
- 2005 – Nintendo DS Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- 2005 – Multiplayer Game of the Year
- 2005 – Offline Multiplayer Game of the Year
- 2005 – Nintendo DS Racing Game of the Year
- 2005 – Nintendo DS Multiplayer Game of the Year
Contributed by MegaMegaMan (2285) on Dec 22, 2005. [revised by : CalaisianMindthief (8242), FatherJack (62727) and Patrick Bregger (261457)]. -- edit trivia