Forums > Game Forums > Castle of the Winds > Platforms: DOS?

Dae (7182) on 1/3/2009 10:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Was this game ever released on DOS? Seeing as all the menus use the Windows 3.x window system with mouse required, I feel if there ever was a DOS version of the game, it should be a completely different version of the game and probably require its own game profile.

Xoleras (66141) on 1/3/2009 9:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, all the blue disks have DOS installation instructions. I'm not saying it's DOS, but that's probably the source for it.

If there is a DOS version: just because the GUI is rendered a bit differently, does not qualify for a new game entry -- gameplay is what matters.

But the game entry should be split into the two Episodes instead.

Dae (7182) on 1/3/2009 11:57 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--]If there is a DOS version: just because the GUI is rendered a bit differently, does not qualify for a new game entry -- gameplay is what matters.[/Q --end Xoleras wrote--] How about Resident Evil, Settlers 2, Theme Park, Chrono Trigger and other remakes for the Nintendo DS? The game is the same but the GUI is different. Plus in some games you use the stylus instead of a mouse.

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--]But the game entry should be split into the two Episodes instead.[/Q --end Xoleras wrote--] Like Duke Nukum? I'm a bit confused about these. Since both Duke Nukem 1 and 3D had the first episode fully in the shareware version, but later episodes were available only in the registered version. As far as I know, you couldn't order Duke Nukum episodes 2 and 3 separately, but you got all three when you ordered the full game.

How come Duke Nukum has separate game entries but Duke Nukem 3D doesn't?

Xoleras (66141) on 1/4/2009 2:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Actually not like Duke Nukem. ;)

In the case of Duke Nukem, you are right. This is one Shareware game and therefore should only have one game entry. Means, those three should be merged.

Problematic are commercial / retail re-releases of once "integrated" episodes as standalone products., even more is the actually free episode is later also commercially re-released (i.e. localized).

Assuming a game has 3 episodes, originally Shareware (first free, the other two together after registration) and is late episodic based re-released retail (or mail order, or download as it's currently modern), then the game would get 4 game entries - one for the original Shareware game, the other for each separate available (episodic) game. For getting a game entry, it just depends how it was sold / made available.

When I look at the Castle of the Winds covers, I see one set of covers (box & diskette) per episode, so this doesn't look that Shareware too me. I mean, if it's shareware and the first episode is free and I then buy the game, would I then get two different game boxes? So this looks to me like commercial (re-)releases, which then would in turn require at least 2 game entries.

<hr />

for the DS:

Is the game the same?

Theme Hospital DS is in the same game entry as the DOS and console platforms.

Resident Evil has a separate entry because of The key difference is the use of the dual screen and touch sensitive formats, among many gameplay additions. (even alone many gameplay additions will probably alter the gameplay ;))

And input devices (yes, they can be seen as a main force of different gameplay) alone do not qualify for a new game entry. Otherwise we would need to split almost any PC and console game, as the PC does primary use keyboard/mouse while the consoles uses game controllers, or in the case of the Wii, the.. whatever this is called.

On the other hand, the mouse was not invented for Windows, so who says that the DOS version of this game (if it exists) isn't using a mouse too? :)

DJP Mom (11333) on 1/4/2009 3:49 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--] Otherwise we would need to split almost any PC and console game, as the PC does primary use keyboard/mouse while the consoles uses game controllers, or in the case of the Wii, the.. whatever this is called. [/Q --end Xoleras wrote--] Wiimote :)

Foxhack (32100) on 1/4/2009 4:15 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--] [Q2 --start Xoleras wrote--] Otherwise we would need to split almost any PC and console game, as the PC does primary use keyboard/mouse while the consoles uses game controllers, or in the case of the Wii, the.. whatever this is called. [/Q2 --end Xoleras wrote--] Wiimote :) [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--]Actually, it's the Wii Remote.

I was told to NEVER refer to it as Wiimote when I did a translation for a Wii game. :p

DJP Mom (11333) on 1/4/2009 4:57 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kit Silva wrote--] [Q2 --start DJP Mom wrote--] Wiimote :) [/Q2 --end DJP Mom wrote--]Actually, it's the Wii Remote. I was told to NEVER refer to it as Wiimote when I did a translation for a Wii game. :p [/Q --end Kit Silva wrote--] I stand corrected! I might just have to drop with embarassment if I ever said "Wiimote" out loud, too; I never realized just how awful it sounds :D

Dae (7182) on 1/4/2009 10:26 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm wondering about The Settlers and Theme Park then, the games are exactly the same, although the GUI has been edited to fit the DS screen, plus they both have different music (apparently the DS is uncapable of MIDI playback or something?), that alone shouldn't quality for a separate entry -- I mean, just look at Duke Nukem 3D, the PC/Saturn/PSX/N64 versions are run by completely different engines, but they're still one entry.

Terok Nor (41953) on 1/4/2009 1:35 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daedolon wrote--]I mean, just look at Duke Nukem 3D, the PC/Saturn/PSX/N64 versions are run by completely different engines, but they're still one entry. [/Q --end Daedolon wrote--]

They shouldn't be - some of them have new levels, different levels, different weapons, etc...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 1/5/2009 5:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Was this game ever released on DOS?

I was griping about this some time ago also. I'm 99.9% sure the answer is "hell no" but though in the early days of the site the burden of evidence on the submitter was lighter apparently we take those contributions with more weight than current ones.

(The only screenshot they provide in the package with "DOS instructions" on the disk is still of a Win 3.x version! Also the top right of both boxes on file shows a green box indicating "Windows". This doesn't rule out the existence of a DOS shot, but our best, uh, "evidence" so far is a diskette with an identical label to that of the Windows version.)

Xoleras (66141) on 1/6/2009 2:06 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I did a bit of research, and I can now confirm 100% "hell no". :)

From the developers website, which isn't Epic by the way:

Years ago, back in the late 80's I was trying to learn Windows programming to get off of DOS Word, where I was then working. Naturally, I decided to write a computer game. What I didn't expect was that Castle of the Winds would generate some 13500 registrations, and continue to generate an mail to this day. At this point, I give the game away for free. Here's a zip with both part one (the free part) and part two (the part you had to register to get). Castl11A.zip Have fun!

Corn Popper (69027) on 1/6/2009 3:38 AM · Permalink · Report

DOS removed

beetle120 (2415) on 1/6/2009 10:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Out of curiosity why is there DOS run commands on the disk?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 1/6/2009 10:47 PM · Permalink · Report

They probably copy the files to a directory on the hard drive and automatically start windows 3.x