Join our Discord to chat with fellow friendly gamers and our knowledgeable contributors!

antstream
Castle of the Winds Windows 3.x The graphics left quite a bit to the imagination..

MISSING COVER

Published by
Developed by
Released
Platform
Kids to Adults
ESRB Rating
Genre
Perspective
Pacing
Gameplay
Setting
Forum Search  
View Mode: threaded | watch thread

Roguelike?

Cavalary (10850) on Apr 27, 2014

Judging by the permadeath requirement in the description of the Rogue variants / roguelikes group, this (and the part I / II entries) shouldn't be in it, right?

Re: Roguelike?

Tracy Poff (2025) on Apr 27, 2014

Ah, our description of this is kind of bad...

Yeah, since there's no permadeath, I'd say this is no roguelike, according to our definition.

Off topic: people seem to be playing buzzword bingo with game genres these days, describing everything from FPS to platformer as roguelike. And half of the indie game descriptions I read seem to be "FooGame is an action-roguelike-strategy-adventure hybrid, similar to Braid, Super Meat Boy, Dark Souls, and Any-Other-Random-Popular-Game, except with tophats and steampunk zombies and a wisecracking AI." What is up with that?

Cavalary (10850) on Apr 27, 2014

Tracy Poff Wrote:
Off topic: people seem to be playing buzzword bingo with game genres these days, describing everything from FPS to platformer as roguelike. And half of the indie game descriptions I read seem to be "FooGame is an action-roguelike-strategy-adventure hybrid, similar to Braid, Super Meat Boy, Dark Souls, and Any-Other-Random-Popular-Game, except with tophats and steampunk zombies and a wisecracking AI." What is up with that?

Marketing?

Indra was here (20900) on Apr 27, 2014

"It's a top-scroller that uses a "Your move-My move" system."

Well, someone woke up on the wrong side of the planet. :p

I still have issues about that last paragraph. Mentioning Diablo as a borderline case for rogue variants, which is a pretty lame case for comparative studies. They obviously haven't seen the borderline RPG? game of Enchanted Forest.

Damn you, Dredd. I'm having nightmares over here. :p