🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Pilgrim: Faith as a Weapon > install problem

alex grros on 8/28/2008 9:30 PM · Permalink · Report

hello

ive got pilgrim of a friend and tryed to install it on my windows xp i open the install.exe in cmd and it comes up with

d:\install

program too big to fit into memory

now what do i do i try virtul pc and tryed it in windows 95....... and came up with the same error i have got the memory to install it 116 gb of it so what do i do ????

please reply just to see what you think it could be.....

thanks

alex

Xoleras (66141) on 8/28/2008 11:40 PM · Permalink · Report

You have 116 GB RAM? Nice. =)

The problem is: your files are corrupted.

Shouldn't happen with an original CD though. ;-)

Foxhack (32100) on 8/29/2008 12:10 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Oliver Jahn wrote--]You have 116 GB RAM? Nice. =)

The problem is: your files are corrupted.

Shouldn't happen with an original CD though. ;-) [/Q --end Oliver Jahn wrote--]Um. Or maybe the game's install routines won't work on large hard drives. Because the programmers didn't think anyone would own such a huge hard drive someday. :P

Xoleras (66141) on 8/29/2008 9:33 AM · Permalink · Report

This is a memory error at the OS level; it acts similar to the "this program cannot run in DOS mode" error when trying to run a Win32-EXE in DOS - the application won't even start.

Out of memory, together with "this is not a valid Win32 application" and few other error messages indicate a corrupted file. (My guess is that Windows thinks - due to the corruption - the file is an old DOS EXE and tries to load it into the conventional memory but the file is bigger then 640 KB and therefore -> out of memory... or something like this)

What you think can happen, but only while running the install routine - but usually produces garbage/weird messages (like negative free space etc.) but can still be installed.

But for your second sentence, I've a really nice (and dumb) example:

Baldur's Gate came on 5 CD's - full install was 2.25 GB or something. But their own installer could only handle up to 2047 MB free space, so every time 'full install' was selected, an error/warning message appeared telling "not enough free disk space. do you want to continue anyway?" (or something like this) :-)

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/29/2008 9:01 AM · Permalink · Report

Our great reviewer and contributor Jeanne suggested in 2005 that the game works well on newer systems. So that's not a compatibility issue and no Virtual PC is required.

Xoleras (66141) on 8/29/2008 9:40 AM · Permalink · Report

But to be blunt, it amazes me that people are smart enough to set-up a guest OS inside a virtual machine, but can't put the error string into Google. :P

alex grros on 8/29/2008 10:28 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

so what can i do ???????? ive tryed on my laptop witch has got a 1.7 ghz ceron prosser and 2 GB OF RAM and a 80 GB hard drive windows vista home basic ive tryed it in virtual pc on windows 95 98 and 2000 same error can i edit this .exe file to make this work ???? i have got the memory in cmd

thanks for all of the replys

alex

Xoleras (66141) on 8/29/2008 2:29 PM · Permalink · Report

I think you don't get it... it doesn't matter if you try to run it with Windows 95 or Windows 2018, with 128 MB or 32 PB RAM.. the file is corrupted and won't "uncorrupt" with all the memory in the world.

See Microsoft Knowledge Base (though it was written for defrag, you can substitute this for any executable).

And no, you can't just "edit" an EXE to make it working, you need a new (working) one.

alex grros on 8/29/2008 5:21 PM · Permalink · Report

thanks a lot im still learing

alex grros on 9/6/2008 5:06 PM · Permalink · Report

right i got some disk from my grandad i installed it manaualy (becuase the exe file would not expect disk 2) i got the game working but no sound when i go into prefences it doesnt let me click on yes or no what do i do ???