Written by  :  piltdown_man (182192)
Written on  :  Sep 24, 2020
Rating  :  2.67 Stars2.67 Stars2.67 Stars2.67 Stars2.67 Stars
read more reviews by piltdown_man

Summary

Disappointingly average

The Good

This game follows the tried and tested mechanics of a standard hidden object game. Like a mystery book it is divided into chapters with bonus rounds in between. It autosaves, it has deviously good artwork and pleasant light background music, I did not notice any voice acting.
Pretty standard, nothing groundbreaking but it works well.

The Bad

All in all it is an OK game but for me it lacked drama and flair. It follows the book very closely, I've read the book and I've seen TV versions so as far as plot was concerned there were no surprises.

The Bottom Line

I've had a copy of this game for a while among a pile of games I was waiting to play when I could do so uninterrupted and I was expecting so much more. If you're new to the story then the final reveal will be OK but not the surprise it was in the book or on the screen.

Another disappointment, and this is a personal failing, is that after buying the game and shelving it for so long I found that the game is now available for free download! There's a lesson to be learned there.

It's a decent length game, I think it took me six hours or so to play through - I wasn't rushing it and I did use the hint system to find some difficult items.

Bottom line: If you have not read the book or seen a filmed version then this is a competently done game that will occasionally tax you but it won't rock your world. If, like me, you know the plot then you may find this a bit flat.