DescriptionAfter battling through the Age of Empires, it is time to go deeper into the history of mankind, and play in the Ancient cities of the true gods.
Choose your scenario from three, the ancient Greeks, the Norse or the Egyptians, and build your new world into a true kingdom fitting for the Gods that you follow. But be wary of the evil that lives around your kingdom, as they wish to destroy you and your God.
Many elements of the Age of Empires series feature here, including the many economic options, an epic battle system and random maps. New to the series is a full 3D graphics engine, increasing the level of detail to include certain weather effects and the ability to play during any time of the day or night.
During battle, you have the ability to not only lead an army full of hundreds of warriors and mythological creatures of all types, but you can also call on your God to lend a helping hand for a short period of time.
Multiplayer maps are also included, allowing all-on-all or ally battles.
- "神话时代" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "神話世紀" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "RTS 3" -- Working title
- "AOM" -- Abbreviated title
Part of the Following Groups
- Age of Mythology series
- Fantasy Creatures: Dwarves
- Fantasy Creatures: Trolls
- Gameplay Feature: Fog of War
- Games with randomly generated environments
- Mythology: Greek
- Mythology: Norse / Germanic
- Setting: Egyptian
- Symphonic Orchestra: Northwest Sinfonia
- Theme: Atlantis
- Video games turned into board / card games
|Gameplanet||Nov 21, 2002||100|
|IGN||Nov 04, 2002||9.3 out of 10||93|
|Gameplay (Benelux)||Oct 31, 2002||92 out of 100||92|
|Gameswelt||Nov 15, 2002||91 out of 100||91|
|GBase - The Gamer's Base||Mar 06, 2005||9 out of 10||90|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Nov 19, 2002||18 out of 20||90|
|ESC Magazine||Dec 02, 2002||9 out of 10||90|
|PC Zone Benelux||Dec, 2002||90 out of 100||90|
|Gamigo||Dec 04, 2002||8.9 out of 10||89|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Dec 10, 2002||8 out of 10||80|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
Apr 22, 2008
1001 Video GamesAge of Mythology appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Board gameThe game was adapted into a 2003 boardgame of the same name published by Eagle Games.
CodeAge of Mythology has over three million lines of code.
EngineThis is the first game in the Age series, developed by Ensemble, to use a 3D engine.
Mountain giantThe mountain giant unit has a unique, little-known special attack – it can kick dwarves like soccer balls.
SalesIn 2003, Age of Mythology won the Gold-Award from the German VUD (Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland - Entertainment Software Association Germany) for selling more then 100,000 (but less then 200,000) units in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
- 2002 – #7 Best PC Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- Computer Games
- March 2003 (No. 148) - #4 in the 10 Best Games of 2002 list
- Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland (Entertainment Software Association Germany)
- 2003 - Gold Award
Related Web Sites
- Age of Mythology (Game page on the publisher's website (English))
- Age of Mythology Heaven (This is one of the biggest fan sites for Age of Mythology. It contains forums, faqs, downloads, screenshots and even toons.)
- Age of Mythology Temple (Fans site that also has an official clan.)
- Planet Age of Mythology (One of the biggest AOM sites, it contains complete news and game information , thorough guides to the campaign, helpful strategies for each civilization, downloads sections. )
- The Magic of Myth (An Apple Games article about the Mac version of Age of Mythology, with comments provided by Lead Game Designer Ian Fischer (September, 2003).)
- Through the Ages - Starting into a new Age! (A fan site that contains forums, downloads, screenshots, faqs and help files.)