DescriptionAge of Mythology is a spin-off title from the Age of Empires series of real-time strategy games, sharing most of its gameplay with prior titles in the series. However, as opposed to the numerous civilizations that are present in Age of Empires which differ in statistics, tech tree availability and a few unique units and upgrades, Age of Mythology has three factions which differ visually and functionally in their entirety - the Greek, the Egyptians, and the Norse. Each civilization has a different economic model, a different tech tree and unit roster, a different play style, and a different way to acquire favor from their gods.
Other than introducing a 3D engine, the main feature that Age of Mythology brings are myth units and heroes, as well as choosing gods to worship. Gods are split to major and minor ones - major gods act as subfactions (not unlike "countries" in Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2) which have their own bonuses and abilities, and each major god has a selection of two minor gods for each age transition. Each minor god brings their own unique units, upgrades and god ability, and only one can be chosen per age.
Myth units are available for training at temples (or docks if they are seafaring) and require favor to produce and upgrade. Heroes are special units who are more effective at fighting myth units than regular human units, while human units still have entire series of upgrades. Certain units also have special abilities which require time to recharge, such as anubites jumping towards their target, or minotaurs throwing their enemies a considerable distance.
Certain economic changes have been made as well, such as farms and fish schools being infinite food sources.
Age of Mythology has a single campaign with 32 missions, titled "Fall of the Trident". The storyline is unified and played from the perspectives of all three playable factions, whose representatives (Atlantean/Greek hero Arkantos, Egyptian pharaoh Amanra, Greek heroes Ajax and Chiron, and more) end up interacting with each other despite the large geographic distances between their homelands in order to stop pirates and followers of the evil cyclops Garganensis from unleashing an imprisoned titan. Skirmishes and multiplayer matches take place on randomized maps which follow several preset templates and feature multiple game modes.
- "神话时代" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "神話世紀" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "RTS 3" -- Working title
- "AOM" -- Abbreviated title
Part of the Following Groups
- Age of Empires series
- Age of Mythology series
- Fantasy Creatures: Dwarves
- Fantasy Creatures: Trolls
- Gameplay feature: Fog of war
- Games that include map/level editor
- Games with randomly generated environments
- Mythology: Greek
- Mythology: Norse / Germanic
- Setting: Egyptian
- Symphonic Orchestra: Northwest Sinfonia
- Theme: Atlantis
- Video games turned into board / card games
|UOL Jogos||Nov 22, 2002||100|
|Gamer's Pulse||Nov 20, 2002||47 out of 50||94|
|GameSpot (Belgium/Netherlands)||Nov 06, 2002||92 out of 100||92|
|GameStar (Germany)||Oct, 2002||92 out of 100||92|
|GamePro (US)||Jan 06, 2003||4.5 out of 5||90|
|GBase - The Gamer's Base||Mar 06, 2005||9 out of 10||90|
|Pelit||Dec, 2002||90 out of 100||90|
|Gamigo||Dec 04, 2002||8.9 out of 10||89|
|Super Play (Sweden)||Nov, 2002||8 out of 10||80|
|Christ Centered Game Reviews||Jun 01, 2005||80|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
Apr 22, 2008
1001 Video GamesAge of Mythology appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Board gameThe game was adapted into a 2003 boardgame of the same name published by Eagle Games.
CodeAge of Mythology has over three million lines of code.
EngineThis is the first game in the Age series, developed by Ensemble, to use a 3D engine.
Mountain giantThe mountain giant unit has a unique, little-known special attack – it can kick dwarves like soccer balls.
SalesIn 2003, Age of Mythology won the Gold-Award from the German VUD (Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland - Entertainment Software Association Germany) for selling more then 100,000 (but less then 200,000) units in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
- 2002 – #7 Best PC Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- Computer Games
- March 2003 (No. 148) - #4 in the 10 Best Games of 2002 list
- Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland (Entertainment Software Association Germany)
- 2003 - Gold Award
Related Web Sites
- Age of Mythology (Game page on the publisher's website (English))
- Age of Mythology Heaven (This is one of the biggest fan sites for Age of Mythology. It contains forums, faqs, downloads, screenshots and even toons.)
- Age of Mythology Temple (Fans site that also has an official clan.)
- Planet Age of Mythology (One of the biggest AOM sites, it contains complete news and game information , thorough guides to the campaign, helpful strategies for each civilization, downloads sections. )
- The Magic of Myth (An Apple Games article about the Mac version of Age of Mythology, with comments provided by Lead Game Designer Ian Fischer (September, 2003).)
- Through the Ages - Starting into a new Age! (A fan site that contains forums, downloads, screenshots, faqs and help files.)