🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Audiosurf > Any others like this?

beetle120 (2415) on 10/30/2009 3:38 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I love this game but I am just wondering if there is any other games that dynamically create levels/content from your own audio files? If there is few maybe it could be an idea for a new game group.

And also I say that it should remove the 'Games with randomly generated environments' group from this game as the environments are not random but based on the audio played, same audio equals the same level design.

Foxhack (32100) on 10/30/2009 4:40 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start beetle120 wrote--]And also I say that it should remove the 'Games with randomly generated environments' group from this game as the environments are not random but based on the audio played, same audio equals the same level design. [/Q --end beetle120 wrote--]... Not quite.

The levels actually change from playthrough to playthrough very slightly. And even a slight difference in audio quality can make a level behave differently.

beetle120 (2415) on 10/30/2009 11:55 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--] [Q2 --start beetle120 wrote--]And also I say that it should remove the 'Games with randomly generated environments' group from this game as the environments are not random but based on the audio played, same audio equals the same level design. [/Q2 --end beetle120 wrote--]... Not quite.

The levels actually change from playthrough to playthrough very slightly. And even a slight difference in audio quality can make a level behave differently. [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--] But it is not the 90% randomness that is required for that game group. May I suggest a 'dynamically changing environments based upon external media' game group instead.

Foxhack (32100) on 10/31/2009 10:46 PM · Permalink · Report

My comment was more along the lines of "It's not really random". Sorry.

Macs Black (80288) on 10/30/2009 9:10 AM · Permalink · Report

There's a tile-matching game called 3Tones that generates content (the tile formation) based on the music playing on the background. You can watch a video showing the gameplay here.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 10/30/2009 11:51 AM · Permalink · Report

The Vib Ribbon games might fit that description, though I haven't played them myself.

beetle120 (2415) on 10/30/2009 11:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I'll check them out.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 10/31/2009 5:15 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Supernintendo Chalmers wrote--]The Vib Ribbon games might fit that description, though I haven't played them myself. [/Q --end Supernintendo Chalmers wrote--] Indeed it does, this game is bonkers. Though when using your own CDs, you'll often find yourself playing maddeningly difficult songs right after numbingly simple ones...it's not particularly well-balanced.

Fun game, though, especially passing a controller around three or four friends with some tunes everyone likes.

Parf (7873) on 11/8/2009 1:00 PM · Permalink · Report

I think Vib Ribbon has got to be one of the few PlayStation games where you get the controls explained on a full size poster, which you'll need for quite a while to remember what button combination does what. Very fun game though!