Forums > Game Forums > Battlestar Galactica > Reception

Sciere (930486) on 1/7/2008 10:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I was very much prepared to embrace and love this... but it appears to have fallen flat. Based on the reviews, trailer and screenshots, I am not even encouraged to try the demo and taste the disappointment. With so much material and emotional impact to work with, this could have been the game to dethrone X-Wing... too bad.

Doubling the price for the Windows port isn't very nice either. It gets even better when they blankly let you know $19.99 equals €19.99.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 1/7/2008 10:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Check out Beyond The Red Line

http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/index.html

It's a stand-alone fan mod using the Freespace 2 engine. Played a bit of the demo over the holiday and was very impressed. Far closer to what I was expecting from this one.

Kartanym (12418) on 1/8/2008 5:40 AM · Permalink · Report

I'd still like to try it, myself, I'm a sucker for the arcade shooters. But I do agree, for the material its based on, they should be looking at something far bigger and bolder than a live arcade title.

Sciere (930486) on 1/8/2008 6:34 AM · Permalink · Report

I'll look into that one, thanks.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/8/2008 10:31 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]With so much material and emotional impact to work with, this could have been the game to dethrone X-Wing [/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

Well, it wouldn't have taken much emotional impact to dethrone X-WIng. Even Alliance was so-so in a story department.

Take this, coming from a die-hard trekker-gamer. It takes much more than one shitty game to make you give up on seeing a good transition of a movie/series to your computer screen. Things will improve, as long as there's enough people watching the series.

As for the series itself, I've seen Razor and I'm not that impressed. Maybe, I'm expecting the naivety and positive message of Star Trek in every space sci-fi series I watch.

Well, you can't blame trekkie for being a die-hard, now can you?

Sciere (930486) on 1/8/2008 2:33 PM · Permalink · Report

I didn't like Razor much either, it really takes a complete season for the characters to develop.

chirinea (47496) on 2/10/2008 2:15 AM · Permalink · Report

I tried it today, I can't say it sucks that much. I mean, it's a casual game, one of those you'd rather get for free and play during work. The missions are based on real episodes, but you won't get voice acting, so you can almost pretend it isn't based on the series. If you die, you just wait a few seconds to be respawned, and that's it. The controls are weird (W and S to go forth and back, arrows to turn left and right, A and D to roll) and if you colide on anything, nothing happens.

I guess we all should try that Freespace 2 total conversion...

BurningStickMan (17916) on 2/10/2008 8:56 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]If you die, you just wait a few seconds to be respawned, and that's it. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

Just like a Cylon... :P