🕹ī¸ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > BioShock > They're doin' it for themselves

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/14/2009 7:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

By now I guess everyone and their dog know, but I'll just leave this here...

<center></center>

St. Martyne (3648) on 3/14/2009 8:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Who's that? Big Mommy?

DarkZloth on 3/15/2009 12:22 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--]Who's that? Big Mommy? [/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--]

According to what is written in the picture, I believe that's "Big Sister".

St. Martyne (3648) on 3/15/2009 8:11 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DarkZloth wrote--] According to what is written in the picture, I believe that's "Big Sister". [/Q --end DarkZloth wrote--]

Oops!

—- (1623) on 3/15/2009 1:58 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Can't wait for the Little Daddies...

As much as I liked the original, I'm not expecting much from the sequel (prequel?). The story arc was pretty much closed (guess they could go the "It was Ryan's plan all along" route, but not much potential there, IMO). The original's main attraction was the unique setting and so far it seems that they're going to completely re-use it.

Yeah, just a few thoughts. I know I'm applying pretty high standards here. I just think Levine's talent shouldn't be wasted with pumping out sequels. I think Bioshock is one of the few good games that shouldn't be continued.

Then again, the teaser at the end of the PS3 version was rather promising, It somewhat suggested to me they were trying to change the game's mood there. Hopefully they'll take advantage of the original's money slipstream and don't play it too safe.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 3/15/2009 3:42 AM · Permalink · Report

I think Bioshock is one of the few good games that shouldn't be continued.

Absolutely. Exploiting this unique setting and atmosphere once more would be profanation. The only worse things I can imagine are sequels to Shadow of the Colossus and Loom.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 3/15/2009 5:43 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JazzOleg wrote--]The only worse things I can imagine are sequels to Shadow of the Colossus and Loom. [/Q --end JazzOleg wrote--] You know that Brian Moriarty himself disapproves as Loom's story was once meant to be worth a trilogy. But with the sharp decline in talent within LucasArts & Associates over the last years it's probably for the better they don't open the grave.

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/15/2009 4:49 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I seem to remember Levine saying that they had like 30 years worth of storyline for the Bioshock universe, like supposedly the first game was gonna span up to the modern day originally; so one could trust that. Then again, we already know how game designers and their promises can be....

Anyway, there's a teasing website out there, seems like it's gonna be a long marketing campaign with lots of info breadcrumbs for the fans.

St. Martyne (3648) on 3/15/2009 8:19 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--] Anyway, there's a teasing website out there [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--]

Talking of teasing websites, here's the one for the game that will rule them all.

Sciere (930291) on 3/15/2009 8:55 AM · Permalink · Report

The setting was fascinating, but I grew bored of the gameplay itself quickly. There are too few defining moments and I can't get myself to finish it for the sake of it.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 3/15/2009 4:04 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]The setting was fascinating, but I grew bored of the gameplay itself quickly. There are too few defining moments and I can't get myself to finish it for the sake of it. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--] My feelings exactly (although I guess I gave up on the game much earlier than you). I'd love love to play a more interesting game in a similar setting, but seeing how successful Bioshock was, there probably isn't any good reason for the developers to make any significant changes.

Lumpi (189) on 3/20/2009 4:00 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]The setting was fascinating, but I grew bored of the gameplay itself quickly. There are too few defining moments and I can't get myself to finish it for the sake of it. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

Yes! Exactly.

I'm growing tired of game designers abusing the "story is everything" movement among game reviewers. Story is a background for a game at best.

The real story should be gameplay itself.

Think of even the best game stories out there. 90% end with an evil mastermind trying to build superhumans. Seriously, think about it. And Bioshock is NO exception! Bioshock is about an evil mastermind building superhumans!

The setting is gold, but the story is a rehash of an old, old cheesy sci-fi cliche! Yet it gets praised as the story was a breath of fresh air. It wasn't.

Most stories for games are neither good nor powerful enough to justify the entire experience. If they were, the writing would be better spent on film or literature. Story is an element of gamedesign, but not even the most important one (exceptions might be some really good adventure games).

If you have lots of story, but dumbed down gameplay, the game itself becomes dumber as well.

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/21/2009 12:42 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lumpi wrote--] And Bioshock is NO exception! Bioshock is about an evil mastermind building superhumans! [/Q --end Lumpi wrote--] That's a pretty silly thing to say, since that particular story arc is just one among the many that are running simultaneously in the game, and not even the most important; but in any case the greatest achievement of Bioshock isn't even the storyline itself, but the story-TELLING. The brilliance of the game is how it tells an insanely multilayered story and it manages to not interrupt the flow of gameplay, or at least to leave to the player the choice of how much of such interruption he/she is willing to put up with.

It's like the third of fourth game in the history of gaming to achieve such a thing, if you think about it; most games simply try to mash together gameplay with storytelling devices of either film or literature.

Didn't we already have this discussion here? o_O