Written by  :  Thekwane Black (34)
Written on  :  Feb 07, 2011

read more reviews by Thekwane Black

Summary

Brother in arms they got right!

The Good

I have played the previous two brother in arms but did not nearly enjoy them as I did with this game. In-fact this game encouraged me to go back and actually completed the other two. Normally I do not enjoy the unreal engine with this type of game, but I was really surprised.

Once again you get to lead two squads of paratroopers against enemy concentrations, ensuring you use special techniques to defeat the enemy, i.e. fix the enemy (cover fire) flank the enemy (with light units) and fire (wipe them out). In the previous games, cover was always an issue, you could hide behind something and still get nailed by rounds, because your crouch wasn't low enough. In this game it uses the cover and fire system, whereby your character is safe if in cover mode and then can fire above cover, around cover and blind fire at the enemy (This is also used successfully in the Rainbow six vegans series)

This makes the game more realistic and gives the player time to think in a combat situation, how to get the upper hand. You have a tactical overview which allows you to plan set moves which can be helpful.

The storyline continues from where it left off, this in itself encourages you continue to see how you and your buddies pull through.

The Bad

I am sitting here trying to figure out what I did not enjoy and there are not many things. Occasionally triggers are not triggered and you have to restart a mission, although this may have been dealt with in patches.

I played this game through twice within a month on difficult settings so something in this game must have pulled me back.

The Bottom Line

This is a very realistic and immersive game and I really enjoyed it, in fact I hope they bring out another one with similar game-play. I feel that it is sadly an underrated franchise and was surprised to see how quickly its price dropped within a year of release.