🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back > Guess what could possibly go wrong in 2017?

1xWertzui (1135) on 10/31/2017 9:02 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Erm... everybody is okay with this!? Without a word? Just like that?

Times ago I had my share of praising a mascot based franchise with its annoying puns. What was wrong with me.

But then, here is the bottom of all video game mascots. In 2017, the corpse of Accolade suddenly rises from its grave, just to to bring back ...THIS!? What zombies were present at that ghoulish meeting where this was decided? They are probably not aware about its reputation. If they ARE aware, then good grief, they are sinister! At this point it doesn't even matter if the newest game is decent or good or whatever (maybe someone brave enough to play it can report about it). It has the disability of being in the same franchise as Bubsy 3D. Worse yet, it has the character Bubsy in it.

What did we do to deserve this? Now I think we will see an official HD remake of Big Rigs.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 10/31/2017 9:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Bubsy is just getting the valorization that Plan 9 from Outer Space got (today, that would by Tommy Wiseau's The Room.)

1xWertzui (1135) on 10/31/2017 10:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Whoever are behind the new Accolade brand must be very cynical to expect that they can get away selling Bubsy to a possibly unaware generation, or cash in on upset reviewers.

Adzuken (836) on 10/31/2017 11:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Enh. The original Bubsy was mediocre, but it was hardly the worst animal mascot game. I actually enjoyed it when I was a kid, and can tolerate it now. Not the sequel, though. Ew, no. And the pilot episode for his intended cartoon series makes me retch.

It's notoriety stems more from the fact that it had a pretty big marketing push that harped on other mascots, then didn't have the goods to back up its words. It's the Daikatana of its time. If Aero the Acrobat attempted that, we'd probably remember it similarly.

It has notoriety. Whether someone has fond-ish memories of the first game, or they've heard tell of the legendary suck of Bubsy 3D, it's a known commodity. People are going to be curious if a good game can be churned out of a dubious legacy, and they'll likely check it out.

As far as I'm concerned, not for $30. No, no.