Written by  :  NeoMoose (1261)
Written on  :  Jul 22, 2002

read more reviews by NeoMoose

Summary

One Word: Groundbreaking

The Good

This game has more attention to detail than any other game released to date. PERIOD. I have played well over 1,000 games in my lifetime and nothing even comes close to what this game offers.

Example: Factors Used To Calculate Armor Penetration
 - Armor Thickness (Front, Rear, Turret Front, Turret Rear, Sides)
 - Slope of the Armor (All Faces)
 - Side Angle (Obliquity)
 - Striking Velocity
 - Armor Quality (Was the vehicle well made?)
 - Hardened or Homogenous plate?
 - BHN (Brinnel Hardness Number)
 - Shote-to-plate Diameter ratios
 - Type of shell cap
 - Shot Shatter
 - Shot Traps
 - Armor Skirts
Okay, that covers attention to detail quite nicely.

The other great thing about this game is how it is played. You don't control your units. You simply give your troops orders to be carried out. You can take as long or as little time as you want doing this, but once you hit GO! then you have to wait for 60 LONG seconds before you can give your men new orders. Yes, your men adapt to the situation at hand, but you can't do anything until you have another chance to give orders 60 seconds from the last get-go. You'll scream at some of the mistakes you made and literally sweat when you set your men out on a risky endeavor that you don't directly control. It's GREAT!

The Bad

2D Sprites in an otherwise 3D game? ACK!

The Bottom Line

The most revolutionary wargame to hit the streets since the birth of the genre. Hands down, this game gets so much right that it really is nearly impossible to not enjoy.