DescriptionYuri's Revenge is the official expansion pack for Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2.
The storyline picks up right where the canonical Allied ending from Red Alert 2 left off. While the Allies concentrated on regaining territory and fighting off forces loyal to the now former Soviet Premier Romanov, the latter's advisor Yuri secretly raised an army of his own, using his immense knowledge of psionics and genetic mutation. As Yuri announces his presence and plans, a global network of devices called psychic dominators comes online in an attempt to enslave the entire world. The American president Dugan orders an air strike to destroy one of these devices on Alcatraz island, and although the attack failed, a crashed Harrier damaged the device's power supply. As all other psychic dominators go online, the Allies attempt to power a time machine to stop these events from occurring. At this point in the storyline, the player chooses to side with the Allies, or to join the Soviets and steal the time machine to also defeat Yuri, but at the same time restore the Soviet Union to power. Yuri's army does not get a singleplayer campaign, which is the first and only time in a series where a playable faction does not get singleplayer content. The Allied and Soviet campaigns have 7 singleplayer missions each (total of 14).
The aforementioned Yuri's army is also the first time that a third faction is present and playable in the series, and is available in skirmish and multiplayer modes. Its technology is entirely separate from those of its rivals, and makes extensive use of mind control and various means of disabling enemy units and structures (e.g. Magnetrons can lift vehicles to their location, while Floating Discs can disable or otherwise exploit enemy structures while firing on units). Other factions also get new units and structures (particularly as the Soviets lost almost all technology related to Yuri's work), and all factions get a common late-game support power, the force shield. Tech hospitals now heal infantry automatically instead of having them enter the building, and several new tech buildings have been added - the machine shop, the secret lab, and the civilian power plant. New game modes have been added in multiplayer, and a new set of co-op missions has been made, including some for Yuri's army.
- "命令与征服：尤里的复仇" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 - Yuri's Revenge" -- European title
- "Command & Conquer: Alerte Rouge 2 - La Revanche de Yuri" -- French title
- "Command & Conquer: Alarmstufe Rot 2 - Yuris Rache" -- German title
Part of the Following Groups
- Command & Conquer games
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert series
- Live action cut-scenes
- Setting: City - London
- Setting: City - Los Angeles
- Setting: City - San Francisco
- Setting: City - Seattle
- Setting: Earth's Moon
- Theme: Psychic powers / Psionics
- Theme: Time Travel
|Absolutely fantastic step forward.||MAT (199502)|
|More proof that RTS games have fallen into a rut||Les Nessman (281)|
|GameZone||Oct 21, 2001||9.7 out of 10||97|
|GameSpy||Oct 27, 2001||90 out of 100||90|
|Christ Centered Game Reviews||Jun 01, 2005||90|
|Game Informer Magazine||Dec, 2001||8.75 out of 10||88|
|GameStar (Germany)||Nov, 2001||87 out of 100||87|
|Game Over Online||Nov 01, 2001||86 out of 100||86|
|Gamezilla||Oct 30, 2001||85 out of 100||85|
|Fragland.net||Sep 18, 2002||84 out of 100||84|
|Gamezone (Germany)||Oct 18, 2001||8.2 out of 10||82|
|Super Play (Sweden)||Nov, 2001||6 out of 10||60|
There are currently no topics for this game.
AdvertisementIn one interesting advertising gimmick, Westwood ran advertisements for a 1-900 number to Yuri's psychic hotline. The ad read that you could call 1-900-454-YURI and find out if domination is in your future. It is a real hotline set up for Yuri's Revenge, and I found it entertaining. Calling this number is $.95 a minute, but its only a message a few minutes long. A Red Alert 2 fan may want to try it.
DelayThis game was delayed for some weeks because of the WTC bombings. First, EA announced they wouldn't ship it at all, but later, they changed their mind and just altered the packaging. The original design had exploding skyscrapers on it.
- In version 1.000 of the expansion, in Allied Mission 2 (Hollywood And Vain) there are three special civilian units: Arnnie Frankenfurter, Sammy Stallion, and Flint Westwood. They are actually parodies of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone and Clint Eastwood. They have special soundbanks which are references to their movies. However, in version 1.001 they lost their respecting names and share the soundbank with the regular G.I.
- In the first mission of the Soviet campaign, the player's taskforce needs to capture and use the Allied time machine in order to travel to the past and prevent Yuri from taking over the world. Once captured, the machine sends the Soviets too far back in time, and they have to fend off dinosaurs until the machine is recalibrated. This is most likely a reference to the hidden bonus missions from the first Command & Conquer game where the player has to fight dinosaurs.
Related Web Sites
- Electronic Arts (Electronic Arts official homepage. EA published Yuri's Revenge.)
- Official Red Alert 2 Web Page (The official Westwood site for Red Alert 2 and the Yuri's Revenge expansion pack.)
- Planet Command & Conquer (Gamespy's official site for all of the Command & Conquer games. Information on Yuri's Revenge is available here.)
- Westwood Studios Homepage (Westwood developed Yuri's Revenge. You can also find the official Yuri's Revenge homepage here.)