Written by  :  piltdown_man (160547)
Written on  :  Jul 08, 2013

read more reviews by piltdown_man

Summary

More of a game than a simulator

The Good

The graphics are good and the sound is pretty decent too.

It's easy to get into and just as easy to get lost in games like this. Playing through the first mission I was surprised to find that I ran out of time, the level has to be completed in ninety minutes and I didn't make it. I was just so surprised that I had been playing that long without realising it.

The Bad

This game is let down by it's physics. I do not expect bricks to be left floating in mid air or that the roof of the building should remain in place when the walls have gone and the only thing holding it up is a window.

The player will spend a lot of time putting rubble into containers using the scoop so it's not really acceptable that parts of the scoop can pass through the walls of the container.

Finally, it doesn't feel like a simulator. The machines don't give the impression of having great mass, they move too quickly and too smoothly. It feels like a game for children.

There is a decent tutorial which explains the controls, but that's all it does. There's nothing by way of guidance on best technique such as 'When taking down a wall work from the top down so that it doesn't all fall on top of you'.

Worst of all the game quickly became boring. ninety minutes is a long time to play a level and much of that time was spent using the dozer to shove stuff into piles and then using the scoop to put pick up as much as possible and transfer it to a container.

The Bottom Line

Decent models and backgrounds let down by shoddy work on the game's physics and boring bits.