Written by  :  Sycada (191)
Written on  :  Jul 25, 2001

read more reviews by Sycada

Summary

The action rpg for those of us who hate dice rolling.

The Good

Diablo is simplicity itself to play. There is no need to fiddle with your characters stats at the beginning of the game or anything like that, just choose your class and boom, you're off. Combat is real time action based and is simple to play yet challenging. There are numerous quests to embark on throughout the game as well as loads of different weapons and armour etc to obtain. The music is very atmospheric and well done and the story is nicely put together. A real bonus is that each time you start a new game the dungeons are randomly generated. Meaning that on top of the different characters you can go through the game as, the layout of the maps is different each time so the replay value is pretty huge. As a multiplayer game Diablo really shines but this is often hampered by all the people who cheat online.

The Bad

The only thing I really hated about Diablo is that you never really go anywhere. You start in a town and descend into the catacombs then come back up to the town, go further into the catacombs etc etc etc until you finish the game. The scenery does change the further down you go, but not an awful lot.

The Bottom Line

If you're the kind of gamer who loves the idea of the more complex role playing games, but hates all the insane number of stats and moves and the randomness of turn based dice roll battles then Diablo is probably the game for you.