🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Doom > Happy 20th anniversary!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 12/19/2013 10:54 PM · Permalink · Report

(Hm, why does the page title say "DOOM for 3DO"?)

The thing that the retro confetti-heads have forgotten is that we've been celebrating DooM for some time prior to its actual release -- I remember downloading the tech demo and just wandering the empty levels, occasionally gasping as an opening door revealed... a lifeless enemy sprite that couldn't be interacted with. But such a quantum leap forward that just hanging out in the game environment not playing it was still a compelling activity. It was just iD giving notice to the world: oh yeah, our new project? It is going to change everything. This taste is all you'll need.

And wouldn't you know it, between it and Myst, my entire beloved graphical adventure game system was dismantled in short order.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 12/19/2013 11:27 PM · Permalink · Report

... but no matter -- without Doom there would be no Quake, without Quake, no Half-Life, and without Half-Life I would not have just bought all of Civilization 5 at 50% off at the Steam Winter Sale.

Adzuken (836) on 12/19/2013 11:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Man, I love Doom. I played it back when I was way too young, I had to have been between the ages of 6 and 8. I remember playing it with all the cheats on, going around killing things with nothing but the BFG.

I actually would have spent more time with the SNES version, which as far as Doom console ports go, wasn't that bad. It didn't have any saves of any kind, no cheats, and you could only play the later chapters on the higher difficulties, but somehow I did just that.

I then rediscovered it after Doom 3 came out. I remember telling a friend of mine that I'd rather play the classic Doom games than Halo or other modern shooters. He told me I was full of crap, but I still stand by that opinion.

So happy birthday, Doom, you timeless classic. Having been out 20 years now, it sure makes me feel old.

chirinea (47495) on 12/19/2013 11:38 PM · Permalink · Report

You know, for some odd reason I've spent more time playing Wolfenstein 3D than DOOM. I mean, I remember playing DOOM a lot, but I guess I never went too far in it (the first level is certainly the one I remember the most). And then I also played a lot more of those games that used its engine, like Heretic.

I guess I should give DOOM a go one of these days. I played and finished Quake not too long ago because it came out on Zeebo, even if I never really seemed to like it (I always thought of it of a brownish not-that-inspired FPS). I remember liking DOOM a lot more than Quake, so I guess I should try to finish it too.

Игги Друге (46653) on 12/20/2013 4:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Probably the game which killed the Amiga. Not to mention starting a legacy of mindless ego-shooters continuing to this day. It's not something I celebrate.

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 12/20/2013 10:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Commodore killed the Amiga, and the problem with all those throwaway, assembly-line modern shooters is that they're not enough like DOOM.

Rola (8483) on 12/20/2013 7:29 PM · Permalink · Report

@Pseudo_Intellectual - I'm not surprised. My biggest thrill about DOOM back when I was 13 wasn't the ultra-violence (trust me). I was into 3D graphics back then and I admired the super fast engine, effectively fooling us gamers that this is a 3D environment (nobody was calling it 2.5D back then). Virtual reality - here I come!

@chirinea - try it, with a fresh mind. I was playing Doom 1 & 2 for the past weeks. Playing without cheating at ultra-violence, having forgotten all the later levels, you can still feel adrenaline during ambushes, traps etc.

piltdown_man (235740) on 12/20/2013 10:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Happy days.

I played it with headphones on, only way I could get some peace, and the sound of a door opening somewhere on the level or hearing an unseen monster groaning behind a wall was awesome.

The great level design is what made it a standout game for me. I was rubbish at finding the secret rooms though, I can still remember clearing levels and then running around hitting and shooting every wall, picture, whatever trying to find them.

Havoc Crow (29859) on 12/21/2013 11:57 PM · Permalink · Report

For Doom fans, may I bring your attention to this excellent book?

MrFlibble (18234) on 1/12/2014 11:19 AM · Permalink · Report

To celebrate the anniversary, John Romero played in co-op with an IGN jornalist through the entire Episode 1: Youtube link. Fun to watch and lots of interesting comments :)

SGruber (3812) on 1/12/2014 11:21 AM · Permalink · Report

Most Doom games don't have coop listed in hour tech-info panel....

GTramp (81965) on 1/12/2014 11:25 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The best game. ever

[edit] The second game was awesome too in its own right. So, ONE of the best games ever.