Forums > Game Forums > Fallout 2 > Valve To Be In Serious Financial Problems ...

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/27/2010 5:24 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

... Would Try To Cope By Outsourcing All Works Of Screenshoting.

Apparently things are so bad they can't even afford people to take their own screenshots.

So I was doing some digging about the original Fallout games as part of a crazy plan consisting of me buying them, and while browsing the Steam page for Fallout 2 I saw something quite peculiar. Look at the first couple screenshots. See something strange? Like, somewhere around the bottom right corner? Is that a perk or what?

Hey, while we're at it, should I get both games or what? I hear the ending for the first one is much, much better than the second one, but then the second one would be the better game overall --is any of that right? Also, what's that about the first one having a time limit? Because that would be a massive turn-off. I mean, how can you have a game with free exploration when you're on a deadline? I hate deadlines, especially in games. Dumbest game mechanic ever if you ask me.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 8/27/2010 6:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Well it's not so much that the ending is better, but the first game gave the player a lot more agency in how they handle the endgame. The second game forces your hand much more. They are both worth playing. The first game is much more cohesive narrative-wise, while in the second game it's much more obvious that each town was designed by a different person. If you're playing Fallout 2 then you should absolutely get the unofficial patch that's part of the restoration patch. Not the restoration patch itself, because the stuff they add to the game is terrible, but the fixes they made to the base game deal with almost every minor issue with the game.

Also the time limit for F1 should not at all be a turn-off. F1 isn't a free exploration game. You have a quest and people depend on you and you alone to complete that quest for them. You still have a lot of time to do side stuff, and finding the water chip happens before the end of the game, so you can do the rest of the side stuff afterwards.

—- (1623) on 8/27/2010 6:33 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--] Also the time limit for F1 should not at all be a turn-off. F1 isn't a free exploration game. You have a quest and people depend on you and you alone to complete that quest for them. You still have a lot of time to do side stuff, and finding the water chip happens before the end of the game, so you can do the rest of the side stuff afterwards. [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--] Second that. The time limit provides a sense of urgency crucial to the game's structure. It's how it's meant to be played. Never understood how so many seem to loathe it.

Foxhack (32100) on 8/27/2010 6:41 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Get the games at GOG.com instead. They're $6 there, you don't need to have Steam running to play them, and you can even get Tactics bundled in there too.

Terok Nor (41951) on 8/27/2010 7:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Wasn't the time limit removed by an official patch? The second, hidden one at least. The first one should still be there - the whole first part of the game wouldn't make much sense without it.

Zovni (10504) on 8/27/2010 2:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Both are sort of gone, the only thing running on a timer are the endings for each particular location. As in, if you take too long, every town will be struck by mutants and you get their bad endings. Don't know if you can still trigger the timer with the water merchants though.

leilei (343) on 8/27/2010 1:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It gets worse with the Quake series. While not mobysourced, the Quake, Quake 2 and Quake III Arena store pages all use beta screenshots on Steam.

(title caught my attention more than the other)