🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned > Best adventure series ever.

chirinea (47496) on 11/6/2011 11:55 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Being an outspoken fanboi of the series, it was a shame I was still to beat this game until today. Every time I played it I stopped when I got to access the search function in SIDNEY. I kept reading and reading and just forgot about playing the game. But that's just one explanation; I guess I also "unconsciously" avoided beating this game because I probably wouldn't stand knowing that there would be no more Gabriel Knight to be played.

I mean, forget what Doc could say (yeah, the cat-mustache puzzle sucks, but the game is a whole lot more than a bad puzzle), the series is just the best adventure series, even 12 years later. I just loved solving the riddles with Grace in this game, and the whole story is just awesome.

Zovni (10504) on 11/7/2011 1:49 AM · Permalink · Report

It is the weakest game in the series though... but other than that I agree that its one of the best adventure series.

chirinea (47496) on 11/7/2011 2:08 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zovni wrote--]It is the weakest game in the series though... but other than that I agree that its one of the best adventure series. [/Q --end Zovni wrote--]I don't know, Ale, maybe it is the weakest game, but I just love the backstory. Of course most of it Jane Jensen got from that "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" book, but I really like the dimension she added to it. I was afraid I wouldn't like the vampire theme of it, but it turns out the game has its own meaning of "vampire", one I felt entirely comfortable. And the Jesus thing in the game is one of the best I saw in all those alternative-Jesus tales.

Zovni (10504) on 11/7/2011 2:39 AM · Permalink · Report

It is good. But I think both previous games weaved the plot and the historical/mythical research with much better results. I guess the plot is what's at fault the most what with dipping the whole Gabriel/Grace dynamic into soap opera territory and with a resolution to the main plot that is basically a piece of crap.

I mean my memory might be failing me, but basically it turned into a cheap Indiana Jones knockoff in the end and Jesus fixed everything for you, right? Plus vampires, yep. Only they are not vampires, just some lame idiots, but who gives a fuck. Jesus is here! Yayy!! :S

It also felt a departure in terms of tone and ambience. Both previous games got the gothic horror vibe going strong, whereas GK3 felt more like a creepy history channel special.

St. Martyne (3648) on 11/7/2011 5:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Zovni is pretty much spot on. Story-wise it is the weakest game in the series. But gameplay, oh boy, it's pretty much the best. Nevermind that moustache puzzle, it features one of the most inventive use of 3D in adventure gaming.

The first game was a classic point-and-click, the second - an FMV adventure, the third one is something I haven't seen replicated ever since.

It might not be the most promising route of adventure design all new games should follow. But the reason adventures are currently still dead (meaning - out of mainstream) is that everybody simply stopped trying to be different and inventive.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 11/8/2011 5:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Hmm, interesting - I always thought GK3 was the best story-wise. I mean, come on, what can ever beat an alternate story of Jesus and Christianity? Dan Brown became world-famous with his weaker and more derivative handling of exactly the same theme.

Gameplay-wise, though... I don't know. Yeah, I adored the 3D, but the "either cat moustache or impossible sidney puzzles" mentality eventually got to me.

Personally, the first GK will always be my favorite; nothing can compare to the atmosphere of New Orleans there. Beast Within blew me away with its presentation and story, though I think the gameplay was a disappointment (the weakest in the series, in my opinion). Then GK3 again blew me away with 3D... in short, no matter their flaws, all three blew me away :)

Daniel Saner (3503) on 11/7/2011 9:34 PM · Permalink · Report

I haven't played them yet either. The release of Gray Matter made me finally start. I got 1 and 2 from GOG and had 3 already on some magazine cover disc. I am still on day 2 of the first game though... but definitely loving what I saw so far.

And I know very well about that phenomenon, somehow slowing down to a crawl in a game because you don't want it to be over and nothing new to discover :)