Written by  :  piltdown_man (178823)
Written on  :  Mar 26, 2016
read more reviews by piltdown_man

Summary

Anyone know where the olive is?

The Good

Every so often you come across a game that everyone else has known about and this, for me, was such a game. At it's heart is a hidden object game and I've played a few of those but this is different. Looking for items needed to create a dish is tricky, doing it against the clock makes it harder, throw in coins, presents, and other bonus items and it starts to get tough.

Some of the items are hard to find, the olive was a good example because it's small, pickles are another because I had no idea which jar they were in and don't even mention bay leaves! That's not a problem though, it's the core of the game sort of mixing a hidden object with a test of the player's memory. Still at the end of each shift the player can replay it and by then they may have a better idea what they were looking for.

The story isn't much and in many ways it sounds very similar to Gourmania 2, young girl setting out on her own to build a restaurant empire, but here that doesn't really matter. It serves it's purpose in giving some structure to the game.

The music is generic, light and quite pretty, while I was playing my wife called from across the room to say how nice it was which means it's earned an extra half a point.

The game mechanics are excellent, the objects may be small but they were easily picked out by the mouse, the music played flawlessly, there were no stutters, or glitches. Everything just worked as it should - under Windows XP that is (see below).

The Bad

Some early reviews did complain of bugs but I found none. I couldn't get the game to run under Windows 7 however and I had to use an old XP machine to play it, later I noticed in the Big Fish Games website that the game's operating systems were listed as XP, Vista and 8

The Bottom Line

This has been around for a while, it was released in 2011 and it's 2106 now, but it was new to me and I found it to be a refreshing change.
However, having tried I find that it's not my cup of tea. There's nothing here I didn't like, I prefer more puzzles so this is just not my kind of game.