🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Hard to Be a God > Is it good?...

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/7/2009 5:20 PM · Permalink · Report

I adore the book. I love RPGs. Hence the obvious question...

Has anyone here played it?

PolloDiablo (16852) on 2/7/2009 6:14 PM · Permalink · Report

I have only played the demo but found the controls to be frustrating to the point of unplayable. Riding a horse was virtually impossible but you can't get anywhere without one.

St. Martyne (3648) on 2/7/2009 10:51 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JazzOleg wrote--]I adore the book. [/Q --end JazzOleg wrote--]

Really? Good to hear. Book is really good. Game's not so. I haven't played it but I have enough friends whose opinion I respect to tell me not to come close by this game. It's not shit. Just extremely mediocre.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/8/2009 6:33 AM · Permalink · Report

Really? Good to hear.

I think "Hard to be a God" (the book) is an essential sci-fi classic. It's deeply philosophical, touching, entertaining - it just has it all. Pity so few people outside of our ex-Communist circle know it...

Same goes to Lem's "Solaris" by the way. So many people I talked to only know the crappy American movie and have no idea how amazing the novel is.

vedder (70796) on 2/8/2009 10:43 AM · Permalink · Report

I saw the Soviet film as well, but quite frankly neither could convince me to start reading the book.

xroox (3895) on 2/8/2009 1:46 PM · Permalink · Report

I enjoyed the book, though not as much as the other Strugatsky novels I've read (Roadside Picnic, Prisoners Of Power, The Ugly Swans). It's a crying shame that the English versions of the brothers' books have mostly been out of print for decades and are so hard to get hold of.

As for the game, I haven't played it, but I plan to pick it up when it's cheap. I trust Burut to at least do a decent job with it.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/8/2009 3:56 PM · Permalink · Report

I saw the Soviet film as well, but quite frankly neither could convince me to start reading the book.

I never saw it. I think "Solaris" is one of those books that absolutely shouldn't become a movie. Any attempt to turn this deeply intimate and philosophical tale into a cinematic experience would be a failure.

"Hard to be a God", on the other hand, would be cool as a movie!

Sciere (930488) on 2/8/2009 6:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Tarkovsky did it, so the movie is excellent.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/8/2009 6:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Tarkovsky did it, so the movie is excellent.

Maybe it's good as a movie, but it's not "Solaris". That was Lem's comment after he saw the movie.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 2/8/2009 6:23 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start stvedder wrote--]I saw the Soviet film as well, but quite frankly neither could convince me to start reading the book. [/Q --end stvedder wrote--] I've only seen Soderbergh's movie, and it's really bad. But that shouldn't stop you from reading the book.

vedder (70796) on 2/8/2009 6:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Well Tarkovsky's is definitely a much better film, but all in all the topics just didn't interest me much.