InCell (Windows)

Official Site
Also For
Written by  :  piltdown_man (167589)
Written on  :  Sep 01, 2019
read more reviews by piltdown_man

Summary

Simple & slick

The Good

This is a VR game that can be played on a standard PC. I tried it on a Windows 7 machine and it played flawlessly.

At its heart this is a a very simple game to play using just the A & D keys being used to steer while the mouse is needed to use the menus and pick the next organelle to go to. As far as game play goes it reminded me of an old Spectrum game, Outrun I think it was called, which had basically the same controls.

The music is OK, pretty generic and a bit bland but it suits the futuristic 'techy' feel of the game pretty well - not every racing game needs a hard rock driving soundtrack. It wasn't too loud either which makes a change.

The game was released in 2015 so it's four years old now but it's 3D images still impressed me, there was a real feeling of space and I had a couple of Wow! moments as I sped along the track. I cannot imagine playing this in VR mode because in that mode the player steers by moving their head and I think I'd want to look around.

The Bad

I haven't finished the game yet, I keep clipping those **** red gates which means I lose speed and get caught but I can see the game may get a bit repetitive. It's basically the same level repeated over and over with the chasing virus wave starting a bit closer each time. That would be a big problem over many levels but as this is a short game it's acceptable

The Bottom Line

It looks good, it plays well, it's free, it's well done and it's fun.