Written by  :  darkpilot (1003)
Written on  :  Jan 05, 2011

read more reviews by darkpilot

Summary

One of the few about IAF

The Good

Interesting reference that includes 3D models, pictures and big description of weapons. Gameplay is nice, with interesting missions that don't make you feel bored after few couples of them. Landscape is true with satellite image textures. You will see real terrain instead of repeating tiles and can use terrain for cover.

Nice amount of flyable jets and big amount of ordnance. Many radar modes. You can also fly Mig-23 and Mig-29 online or in custom missions.

This game taught me history of AIF and made me big fan of them.

The Bad

Lack of 3D virtual cockpit. For me it was confusing to see gauges and lamps that should be working during the flight being static. Sometimes there is a big need for them. When you land with gear up you stop same time when you touch the runway. Very simple mission builder. AI can't calculate thrust based on remaining amount of fuel. It makes you take care of your wingman's speed.

The Bottom Line

Gameplay: I find the gameplay on top level. Missions are interesting and not same or boring. 3D objects made quite good, but sprites on them have not transparent borders. I don't know if its my video card (Voodoo3 3000) issue or game engine. If you have Voodoo3 video card the game will run in Direct 3D mode. Looks like it will run in Glide only if u have video card based on Voodoo or Voodoo2 chipset.

Game flaws are not big compared of fun and pleasure from playing it

Games comes with IAF 50th Anniversary CD-ROM that tells you everything about IAF.