🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Kousoku Chojin > Details

Tracy Poff (2094) on 2/20/2014 6:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Because I can't leave well enough alone...

We have 1996-04-26 as the release date for the PC-98 version of this game. Whence this date? I see that date in some places, e.g. here and here (and VNDB lists a 2 floppy PC-98 release then), but I see 1995-12-24 elsewhere, e.g. here and here. To make matters more confusing, VNDB lists a release that seems to correspond to this item on 1996-08-13, which I also see here (though the price is off by a thousand yen from that printed on the CD case) and here, plus at this shop, used, but the JAN doesn't match the CD case.

And, naturally, the brand's homepage is unhelpful. The earliest version in the wayback machine only lists products going back to 1997-07-18.

That comshop link, incidentally, has a decent scan (or, rather, an indecent scan) of the back of the CD case showing the JAN and listing support for 4 systems: Windows 95, Windows 3.1, 98MS-DOS (that's the PC-98 version we have on file, I guess), and FM TOWNS. All this on that one CD, I presume.

That said, some questions:

1. What evidence is there of a PC-98 release on that date?

2. Are the links I provided evidence enough to add four new releases for the mentioned platforms on the listed date (i.e. 1995-12-24)?

2a. If not, is it okay to add the system requirements from the scan of the CD case, even though it might technically be a different release from the one we have?

2b. If so, do I mention something like "multiplatform release" or whatever in the release notes?

1. The front cover does say "Kousoku Chojin", but shouldn't our main title be "Kōsoku Chōjin"? I thought we didn't worry about the readings provided on covers for games titled in kanji. Or is that only for kana? I have no idea what I'm doing.

I think I've just devoted way too much time to this.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/21/2014 3:36 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm pretty sure I took the release date from gsdb.fam back when I submitted the game.

As for the title - look at the title screenshot. It's romanized as "Kousoku" there, hence the exception.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 2/21/2014 4:16 AM · Permalink · Report

As for the title - look at the title screenshot. It's romanized as "Kousoku" there, hence the exception.

Yeah, I mentioned that it's on the cover. It's just that it's also a wrong romanization of the title (超人 is "Choujin" or "Chōjin" (proof)). Should we at least include a correct romanization as an alternate title?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/21/2014 6:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, I think an AKA would be ok. Then again, whenever the Japanese decide to officially romanize their title we should accept it. The macron romanization we use here is anyway just one of the standards.

Fred VT (25953) on 2/21/2014 1:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Seems like the romanization standard that is primarily used depends on the language of the people it is transliterated for. In English they seem to prefer to use the 'ou' spelling while in French we usually use the macron, because we'd pronounce 'ou' like an English 'oo'...

Игги Друге (46653) on 2/22/2014 10:33 AM · Permalink · Report

But "Kousoku chojin" doesn't follow any standard.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/22/2014 12:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Right, it doesn't. But that's how the makers themselves romanize the title in-game, which makes it the official title.

Игги Друге (46653) on 2/23/2014 2:04 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm not convinced, but in any case, the standard romanisation must also be added. I wouldn't think of searching for "Kousoku chojin" myself, given the Japanese spelling, and our search function wouldn't find it with any other spelling.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 2/23/2014 8:13 PM · Permalink · Report

I've submitted "Kōsoku Chōjin" as an alternate title.