antstream
Written by  :  piltdown_man (203988)
Written on  :  Jun 24, 2021

read more reviews by piltdown_man

Summary

An OK game but short and not that challenging.

The Good

It loaded without a problem via the Big Fish Games manager, which was reassuring for some reason.

I liked the artwork in general. It's not photo-realistic and it's not cartoon-like either. The rooms and corridors within the school are nicely done and some of the hidden object puzzles had me magnifying the screen to try and find that last object.

The music and sound effects are well done too. The music was very gentle throughout and the evil atmosphere was created by what sounded like whispered voices being played backwards. There are no jump-scares and loud noises to upset younger players.

The story is incredibly flimsy and does not stand up to scrutiny at all but it's enough make this a game and not just a string of puzzles. The ending seemed to set the scene for a sequel but, if it was ever made, I've not been able to locate it.

The Bad

I was playing on a Windows 10 machine and I had a couple of crashes with General Protection errors. The game always restarted from the exact point of failure and it wasn't really a problem - just a little worrying at the time.

The Bottom Line

This is an 'old school' hidden object game with just the one style of hidden object puzzle. Playing it in 2021, seven years after it was published by Black Lime, it shows its age and even in its day I think it would have been just an 'OK' game. It does what it does reasonably well but other games of the time did it better.

It is a short game. I started playing just before six pm in 'Casual Mode' and I'd finished by around nine thirty pm. Allowing for comfort and coffee breaks there's just three hours' gameplay here.

Pleasant, nothing special, no replay value.

antstream