Written by  :  Zovni (10638)
Written on  :  Nov 04, 2002
Rating  :  4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars

read more reviews by Zovni

Summary

Above everything else, Larry is about FUN. And dammit, this game is Fun!!

The Good

This is the most technically advanced Larry game ever, and it shows. It's also one of the last classic adventure games made by Sierra, and that alone is worth noting. The storyline is horribly casual as always, but it doesn't really matter. By now I think Larry has come to peace with his own nature, and that is to be a lighthearted comedy game with lots of sexual content and plenty of funny moments, thus it is really inconsequential to add such things as conspiracy plots, or political agendas. Larry isn't about that, it's about getting the girls!! And this one doesn't let you down in that aspect.

Gone is the "wanna try to be real" look of Larry 6, and instead you get some wonderfully crisp cartoon graphics reminiscent of Curse of Monkey Island, with a new design for Larry that makes him look much more like the good ol' disco loser we loved than the old geezer 5 and 6 had us used too. The sound is also top notch, with full speech, great sfx, and even some "classic" disco tunes for Larry to swing to (heck, the game ends with "Celebration Time").

The interface is completely refined, and includes a new version of the good ol' text interface. It's use isn't completely required to complete the game, but it does yield an almost unending amount of fun for those that like to fiddle around with everything.

The puzzles themselves are not the best ones ever, and often rely too much on non-logical item hunts, yet the game also adds some interesting mini-games (like strip-dice, or the Dildo-hunt) and enough amusing moments to keep you interested even if you just can't get pass a certain puzzle.

Also, this is the raziest Larry ever! With plenty of partial and full nudity to keep your hormones raging, and the babes are HOT! You are even able to export high-quality bmps of them when you "get" them to enjoy, tough I for one haven't used them on my desktop.

The Bad

Same old, same old. For those looking for Larry to crack some international crime ring, or some fantastically megalomaniac plot-line this game offers very little amusement. Just as L6, Larry 7 sets the spotlight over Larry and the comedy, and nothing else. So if you have problems with braindead fun and need something to "hold everything together" then you are gonna miss out on this one. Plus it still uses the stale "give stuff to all sub-girls so you nail them, and then go for the mega-babe with all the items you've earned" formula... geez, originality?? Whaa??

Other than that, there's the fact that the puzzles are way too wacky, and in the bad sense.

The Bottom Line

Great fun, Larry realizes he doesn't need no stinking plot-lines, and delivers what we all want: comedy and babes. And does so with great graphics, sound, interface, writing, etc. etc.

The only thing lacking somewhat are the puzzles and the fact that it doesn't really have a plot and just as unoriginal as it's prequel. But other than that... Solid!!