Forums > Game Forums > Mass Effect > Who would've thought?

St. Martyne (3648) on 2/15/2008 2:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Actually, it was predicted months before the game's original release, but this week saw the official confirmation that Mass Effect is due to arrive on PCs in May 2008. They even promise some additional content, but, frankly, an additional "hacking mini-game" doesn't inspire my imagination much.

Also, it does seem a bit too early, but I presume the work on the PC version has progressed simultaneously with the 360 one, so it might turn out okay. For what's its worth Jade Empire Special Edition problems were never connected with its being a port.

Anyway, it's a good news, and I'm glad I haven't purchased 360 for this New Year.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 2/15/2008 5:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Now that's great news. I still haven't bought an Xbox 360 because I have suspected something like that.

St. Martyne (3648) on 2/16/2008 10:40 PM · Permalink · Report

So, no 360 exculsive to warrant a instant buy from us, the RPG and Adventure folk, except, perhaps Eternal Sonata (which is beautiful) and upcoming GTAIV and Too Human.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 2/17/2008 4:02 AM · Permalink · Report

What about Lost Odyssey? I know it might turn out to be crap, but... it's Final Fantasy legacy. Means a lot to me.

"Eternal Sonata" looks interesting, but I'm not sure I'll be able to stomach the "cutification" of Chopin...

"Too Human" sounds too action-y for me... not my type of game, I guess.

As for GTAIV: no way I'm gonna buy it for console. PC and PC only, when the inevitable port comes. I can't stand shooting without being able to aim with a mouse.

—- (1623) on 2/18/2008 5:01 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I agree, with Mass Effect being ported to PC, Lost Odyssey is pretty much the only remaining reason for me to buy an Xbox 2 (as I call it respectfully).

Edit: Hey, I forgot about Too Human. That might be something, I loved Eternal Darkness!

Sciere (927123) on 3/19/2008 9:36 AM · Permalink · Report

Same here, but not if it's going to take more than a year for the pc conversion.

MichaelPalin (1414) on 3/19/2008 9:31 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JazzOleg wrote--]As for GTAIV: no way I'm gonna buy it for console. PC and PC only, when the inevitable port comes. I can't stand shooting without being able to aim with a mouse. [/Q --end JazzOleg wrote--]

Amen, brother!, Glad you finally became a GTA fan.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 3/19/2008 9:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Amen, brother!, Glad you finally became a GTA fan.

Actually the only GTA I truly love is San Andreas, but since the concept is so cool, and SA showed so much progress (especially in story and gameplay depth), I'm very impatient to lay my paws on the next installment.

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/19/2008 3:12 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Never played this one and the only reason I might want to is probably to check personally the infamous sex scene (from a completely scientific standpoint, of course); but since I like you guys, here's a piece of advice: Should you ever speak to one of the BioWare guys, don't you ever ask about the Mass Effect PC port. It's not a port. It is a conversion. You got that? A conversion ...

The first thing to establish about Mass Effect on PC is that it's not a port. "This is a conversion," explained BioWare demonstrator Chris Priestly. "BioWare hates ports."

Whatever, dude. We used to call ZX Spectrum games "conversions" too and that didn't make the sucky ones suck any less.

All in all, the interview is a rather interesting read, even if you're not interested in the game.

If that thing they mention about scanning forums and reviews to get gamers' feedback firsthand, and then make the list of priorities for future versions and updates based on that data is true, then there's quite a few people out there that could learn a thing or two from BioWare, and they got my respect for that.

mobiusclimber (235) on 3/19/2008 5:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Since this was semi-brought up, I have to say that even though I was really against geting the 360, now that I own one, it actually seems like the best of the three consoles (so far). Both Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey look really good, and the games I've played so far, while not blowing me away, have still been pretty good. I guess the line-up is what it all boils down to.

Indra was here (20756) on 3/19/2008 8:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Woohoo. Last week was the first time I saw an Xbox game, coincidently Mass Effect. Now I'm beginning to wonder why I'm still a PC nerd. :p

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/1/2008 9:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Clearly, this is some new form of game development: it is both exclusive and non-exclusive at the same time. I'm sure glad that I didn't buy an 360 though. There was quite a bit of rage in the Bioware forums since most Bioware fans bought 360 just for Mass Effect because for many years Bioware said directly that a PC version ain't gonna happen. Or rather it said: "It's exclusive on 360 and currently there are no plans for the PC version." That PR talk sure is annoying. Anyway, it seems Mass Effect 2 will be exclusive on PC and 360 - Microsoft exclusive that is.