DescriptionTwo years have passed since Max Payne first embarked on his desperate quest for revenge. Returning to his former position as a detective in the New York City Police Department, Max is assigned to investigate a series of murders carried out by group of contract killers known as the Cleaners. Unexpectedly, Max encounters the enigmatic Mona Sax, whom he assumed dead. People from his past begin to return one by one, and Max gradually realizes that he did not know everything about the mysterious Circle and those who were involved in the murder of his family. Somebody out there is trying to kill Max, and he must find the answers before they succeed.
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne is a direct sequel to Max Payne. The game is very similar to its predecessor in gameplay concept and presentation, bringing back noir detective atmosphere, cinematic John Woo-style action, and cutscenes shaped like comic book panels.
The game is built on the same engine as the predecessor, with several additional special effects and enhancements, such as dynamic shadows and lighting, cubic mapped reflections, and high resolution textures. The Havok engine with ragdoll physics is used to enhance the interactivity with the game world: objects can be moved and destroyed, physically responding to the actions of the player character and opponents.
A new feature in the sequel is the possibility to use two different weapons at the same time. Certain characters will join Max and fight on his side from time to time. The player also controls Mona Sax during a few stages. The Bullet Time feature from the previous game has been upgraded to version 2.0, in which Max's speed in bullet time increases as he gets more kills consecutively.
During the first playthrough the game only offers one difficulty level. If the player struggles to succeed, the game will automatically lower the difficulty, reducing the effectiveness of enemy fire and increasing the amount of painkillers. Additional difficulty levels are unlocked when the player completes the game, as well as two new modes: New York Minute and Dead Man Walking. The first awards the player with a score for completing a level as quickly as possible, while the second has Max fighting endlessly respawning enemies.
- "英雄本色2：马克思配恩之秋" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
Part of the Following Groups
- 3D Engine: MaxFX
- Gameplay feature: Time Manipulation
- Max Payne series
- Physics Engine: Havok
- Setting: City - New York
- Theme: Law enforcement
|WomenGamers.com||Nov 03, 2003||9.875 out of 10||99|
|GameZone||Oct 24, 2003||9.6 out of 10||96|
|Netjak||Nov 07, 2003||9.4 out of 10||94|
|2404.org PC Gaming||May 15, 2005||9.3 out of 10||93|
|Gry OnLine||Nov 03, 2003||90 out of 100||90|
|HardGamers||Oct 19, 2003||90 out of 100||90|
|GameDaily||Dec 31, 2003||9 out of 10||90|
|4Players.de||Oct 20, 2003||88 out of 100||88|
|Joystick (French)||Dec, 2003||8 out of 10||80|
|Game Shark||Nov 05, 2003||D+||33|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Need help with retarded ending||4||Indra is stressed (19947)
Jan 29, 2011
|Please help to Max Payne Movie!||2||Ace of Sevens (4225)
Nov 12, 2007
1001 Video GamesMax Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Max PayneMax Payne looks very different in comparison to the predecessor because this time a professional actor, Timothy Gibbs' was used as Payne's face instead of writer Sami Järvi.
- Towards the end of the game, one of the police officers quotes one of Max's first lines from the first game; "They are all dead." In both instances, the police are arriving after the situation has been resolved.
- If you listen to the messages on Vinnie Cognitti's answering machine, you'll hear a threat from the "God Father." Someone did a an impression of the late Marlon Brando.
- First time Max walks around the police HQ, there are two cops in basement garage. The cops are modeled and named after 3D Realms leads and co-founders George Broussard and Scott Miller. Pay attention to their dialogue; it makes fun out of the long production time of Duke Nukem Forever, ending with 3D Realms' legendary release date slogan ("When it's done!").
References to the gameMay Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne was parodied in an episode of "Die Redaktion" (The Editorial Team), a monthly comedy video produced by the German gaming magazine GameStar. It was published on the DVD of issue 06/2007.
- 2003 – Best PC Story of the Year
- 2003 – Best PC Graphics of the Year
- 2003 – Best PC Successor of the Year
- 2003 – #8 PC Game of the Year
- GameStar (Germany)
- February 13, 2004 - Best PC Action Game in 2003 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 12/2008 - One of the "10 Coolest Levels" (For "A Linear Sequence of Scares". It is the highlight of the game because it is very different from the rest of the game, represents a silly image of Max' soul and offers many surprising script sequences.)
Related Web Sites
- Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (official website)
- Fall of Max Payne Walkthrough (Step by step strategy guide by Anton Forsander)
- Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (The official website)
- Wikipedia: Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (Information about Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne at Wikipedia)