Written by  :  Pirou Julien (2985)
Written on  :  Feb 09, 2004
Rating  :  3.14 Stars3.14 Stars3.14 Stars3.14 Stars3.14 Stars

read more reviews by Pirou Julien

Summary

The last "good" Might and Magic game... but not unforgettable

The Good

If you liked MM6, you will probably enjoy this one, because the basics of the game are the same, with some enhancements. More skills, races, items... Graphics are a bit better, with D3D support (when your graphic card is recognized, that is. Don't expect to play in "hardware mode" if you have a recent card). The music is very good, the plot interesting, there are plenty of quests and tasks to accomplish... The game is very addictive, and I spent hours showing those goblins what "king of the hill" means. The game is also a bit easier than MM6 (but still challenging). That's for the good.

The Bad

There are a few things. First, the graphics are still outdated, and D3D support doesn't add much. Then, the gameplay is mostly based on the old "door-monster-treasure", and that involves fighting dozens of foes per minute. And, as you can guess, it quickly becomes repetitive... And, last but not least, there are bugs. There are still many of them, and even more in the french version (that I own).

The Bottom Line

If you like old-school CRPG, with a good plot and a catchy atmosphere, you'll like Might and Magic VII.