🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Ninja Blade > Give it a chance!

Sicarius (61518) on 5/3/2010 9:28 AM · Permalink · Report

I know it sounds like a cheap DMC-Knockoff with bad graphics but the way the game is structured beats those boring area-after-area-combat-segments featuring boring standard-enemies. We're talking here about each mission being one long boss-fight thanks to the almost perfect and completely fluent integration of the Quick Time Events (whose number is only beaten by Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit I suppose). Each mission is action-packed and full of excitement and you don't even have time to think about if something is boring. Oh, and Ken isn't nearly as annoying as Dante...

So if you have no problem with QTEs and like games similar to DMC -> give it a chance! It's in the bargain bin already anyway (even on PC).

Adzuken (836) on 5/3/2010 12:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Waitaminute. I thought it was supposedly a Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) rip-off.

In any case, I heard it was decent back when it was released, it just fell off my radar for some reason. I guess it might be worth looking in to. Thanks!

Sicarius (61518) on 5/3/2010 12:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Never played Ninja Gaiden so I can't make the comparison.

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/3/2010 9:47 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I gave it a go a while back and -while I will strongly argue that I prefer Dante all the way because the idea of a ninja with such a heavy American accent makes all kind of interferences in the logical centers of my poor, stupid, shooter-playing brain- I mostly agree and high-five everything you just said, even though I hate your guts for not letting me upload a f'ing screenshot for the last 10 years or so >=(

But I digress.

Another point worth mentioning is that it plays pretty smoothly with mouse and a keyboard. A gamepad is probably preferable, but it's not mandatory. And that's quite a feat for this kind of game.

My problem, and the reason I ultimately sent this one down the drain, is the obscenely retarded saving system --basically you need to beat an entire level in one sitting, because once you exit the game you'll be reset to the start of it, nevermind how far you were. I simply don't have the time -nor the patience, honestly- for this kind of endeavor =(

So I'll paraphrase and say: if you have no problem with QTEs and like games similar to DMC and you usually have enough spare time to spend in hour-long playthroughs -> give it a chance!

Sicarius (61518) on 5/4/2010 12:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, the American Ninja doesn't bother me that much because honestly, the background-story is rather medicore. Especially the whole revenge-thing is very close to beIng mind-numbingly stupid. But still - the actionpacked missions and the skyhigh-bossmonsters really make up for that. And neither DMC nor NG are really that much better story-wise AFAIK..

Adzuken (836) on 5/4/2010 1:49 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sicarius wrote--]And neither DMC nor NG are really that much better story-wise AFAIK.. [/Q --end Sicarius wrote--] What are you talking about? Ninja Gaiden had an amazing story about... Pffff. Uh, well, it had those monsters who were... There was fire. That first boss was pretty tricky. Then they were in that city. There was this chick with huge boobs.

What the hell was Ninja Gaiden even about? All I can remember is a bunch of boss battles and really out of control jiggle physics.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 5/3/2010 11:43 PM · Permalink · Report

I've been playing this for the last few days, as it's been in my pile for months and I needed something new to start playing. Played the first two missions and it's lovably ludicrous.

Seriously, that's not physically possible to do with a missile. Though I suppose that's why it's so cool.

Not nearly as hard as Ninja Gaiden, either. That's a plus in my book, too!

Parf (7873) on 5/4/2010 7:33 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I played the demo back when it was first released. Having played through Ninja Gaiden I have to say it's not quite there. It's like they just wanted to make Ninja Gaiden sooo much, but made it more Xtr3m3!!! for the masses. Unless I find it with the price marked down below the ankles, I'm not going to buy it I think.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 5/8/2010 9:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Finished the game, and I think I can safely recommend it if you like over-the-top Japanese action games and don't mind lots and lots of QTEs (though it's possible to reduce their number by unlocking Easy mode...by failing the same one ten times in a row). The game continues to be stupid, mindless, and retarded until the very end. But of course, I love games like that. :)

I noticed this is by the same team at From that produced Otogi and Otogi 2...could anyone say if they're comparable? One of the swords you can get in Ninja Blade is apparently from Otogi, so I'm wondering if there's any connection between them beyond that... Metal Wolf Chaos is also by the same team and I know that one's totally over-the-top too. I guess what I'm asking is: If I liked this, should I check out Otogi?