🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Outlaws > No music.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/12/2007 3:57 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

So I was happily playing Outlaws until I noticed how all the reviews said that what great music this game has. I agreed, the cutscenes had great music. Then I understood - those reviews actually meant ingame music. And that made me wonder, cause I ain't got no ingame music. It's all taunts and sound effects, but no music. Now it doesn't really bother, cause killing stuff is fun enough even without music, but I sure would like to know what them all those reviews are talking about. Ain't there anyone out there that can help me?

EDIT: Thanks to the brave and helpful people in Mobygames I got the music working. So let us all rejoice now and be glad in shooting other people's brains out while singing "Lalalala, and shooting your brains out, just makes my day today."

chirinea (47495) on 7/12/2007 4:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Psst, check this out.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/12/2007 4:07 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Beautiful music, but how is it in the game? Is it just in the background? Each level having one looping tune? Or is it dynamic?

chirinea (47495) on 7/12/2007 4:10 AM · Permalink · Report

Er, with that I can't help, it's been like 10 years since I played the game, and as far as I remember, the version I played was a ripped one, so no music also. =(

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/12/2007 4:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Thank you anyway.

Sciere (930489) on 7/12/2007 7:17 AM · Permalink · Report

I could be wrong, but I only remember the music playing in the 2D cut-scenes. Such an amazing soundtrack, I never found anything again to top it.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/12/2007 9:34 AM · Permalink · Report

No, the music was playing on all levels, during gameplay! Each level had several different tracks... great stuff.

I Terok Nor might be right, check out the sound card/CD drive connection.

"Outlaws" doesn't really run on my new computer (crashes every 30 seconds or so, impossible to play normally), there might be further compatibility issues... I hope you've got an older computer to play it properly.

Terok Nor (42005) on 7/12/2007 8:55 AM · Permalink · Report

I think the music is in Red Book format. So either you misplaced your original CD (ahem) or your CD drive - sound card connection isn't working properly.

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/12/2007 10:40 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Terok Nor wrote--]I think the music is in Red Book format. So either you misplaced your original CD (ahem) or your CD drive - sound card connection isn't working properly. [/Q --end Terok Nor wrote--] Yes. It definitely is in CD Audio format. That's why I actually keep my copy near my music center.

And I don't think you have to connect your CD/DVD-ROM to Audio Card these days. Guess, XP implemented it somehow.

You might want to Select VIdeo Mode from the launcher. There is tab called Sound Configuration. Check if CD Music Active is on.

EDIT: One more thing. There are mostly no issues with XP. Some people complained that BackSpace key doesn't work, but that only matters in multiplayer.

Sciere (930489) on 7/12/2007 10:56 AM · Permalink · Report

I'll also throw in it offers one of the best LAN experiences I know. One-on-one duels in a deserted town, with obstacles to hide behind, and constant reloading, it's just beautiful.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/12/2007 2:05 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, the "cd music active" box is checked. Yes, the backspace doesn't work. And actually I'm running it on a virtual cd rom.

Sciere: "I'll also throw in it offers one of the best LAN experiences I know. One-on-one duels in a deserted town, with obstacles to hide behind, and constant reloading, it's just beautiful."

Can one still LAN with Outlaws?

Unicorn: "No, the music was playing on all levels, during gameplay! Each level had several different tracks... great stuff. "

So, was the music just looping in the background or was it a dynamic soundtrack like all those Lucasarts adventure games that used IMUSE (Fate of Atlantis comes into mind).

If it was dynamic then it's pretty impossible for me to have that "the way it's meant to be" experience with the game. If it was just looping, then if someone tells me which song goes with what level, I can just play them on winamp and pretend that that's the real experience.

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/12/2007 2:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Drunken Irishman wrote--]. And actually I'm running it on a virtual cd rom. [/Q --end Drunken Irishman wrote--]

Is it a .bin/.cue image? Because otherwise it wouldn't contain any recognizable audio tracks at all.

The original first Outlaws CD has about 320MB worth of data and the rest is CD Audio tracks. Check yours.

EDIT: I think that those tracks on LucasArts soundtrack disc (post #2) correspond to each level with the same number.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/12/2007 2:50 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It's an IMG file. The IMG file itself is over 600 MB's (over 600 on both IMG files) but the when I mount it, it says 314 on CD 1 and 237 on CD 2.

Virgil (8563) on 7/12/2007 3:58 PM · Permalink · Report

CD-Audio will play only from first drive in a system. If your virtual CD-ROM not the first one, you'll need to change it.

chirinea (47495) on 7/12/2007 4:09 PM · Permalink · Report

That's not entirely true. Audio CD data can come in two ways: via the IDE cable or via audio cable. Maybe your experience is with computers which have the audio cable hooked up only to the first drive (as it would be more logical to do so), but that doesn't mean you can't play Audio CDs with no audio cable at all. You can actually play Audio CDs from any drive, even virtual ones. For instance, in Winamp, click on the main menu icon and go to "Play" and then "Audio CD X:", where X is the desired drive. Winamp will list all your CD drives, real or virtual.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/12/2007 4:16 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah, winamp plays those music files perfectly. Changed virtual drive from F to D. Still no music.

EDIT: Nevermind. I got the music working. Thank you guys for your help.

Virgil (8563) on 7/12/2007 5:02 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start キリネア wrote--]That's not entirely true. Audio CD data can come in two ways: via the IDE cable or via audio cable. Maybe your experience is with computers which have the audio cable hooked up only to the first drive (as it would be more logical to do so), but that doesn't mean you can't play Audio CDs with no audio cable at all. You can actually play Audio CDs from any drive, even virtual ones. For instance, in Winamp, click on the main menu icon and go to "Play" and then "Audio CD X:", where X is the desired drive. Winamp will list all your CD drives, real or virtual. [/Q --end キリネア wrote--] Actually, I thought it's only game related problem. I can get CD-Audio working in games solely, while using first Cd-drive, no matter is it virtual drive or physical. And I don't connect my CDROM to soundcard at all.

chirinea (47495) on 7/12/2007 5:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah, my mistake then Virgil, sorry.

chirinea (47495) on 7/12/2007 4:31 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Edit: if it's working, nevermind this...

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/12/2007 4:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Thank you for your trouble Gui. But I just said that the music now works ingame. And winamp played them also. So let us rejoice now and be happy.

chirinea (47495) on 7/12/2007 4:48 PM · Permalink · Report

"Happy happy joy joy!" [insert Ren & Stimpy animated gif here]

Shoddyan (15003) on 7/13/2007 9:31 AM · Permalink · Report

Check the cover art of this game for a listing of all the CD music tracks in this game. I vaguely recall hearing that the original version of this game is 2 CDs and uses Redbook audio (plays on a CD player) (this is what I own). There might also be a later released 1 CD version (possibly in the Lucasarts Archives releases) that encodes the music tracks as data.

In any case the music should play during the levels, looping 1 track for each level.

Nicholas Steel (25) on 7/18/2007 1:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

heh, old games always use the Analogue audio cable which connects your CD drive to your soundcard. newer games and windows98 and newer support DAE (Digital Audio Extraction) and the audio is played via the BUS Ribbon cable.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/18/2007 2:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Funny, I thought that people were like me and read the whole thread before posting. Anyway, the music is working perfectly(so no need to bother yourselves anymore), and I already finished the game. I had to just rename the drive to the lowest letter.

Great music, fun game. The only annoyance for me was that the music was looping between 3-4 tracks per level. Sometimes the most inappropriate music would play in the background.

Nicholas Steel (25) on 7/19/2007 2:40 AM · Permalink · Report

i was just providing some info on a technique the game or similar games may have used.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/19/2007 2:48 AM · Permalink · Report

Sorry.