Forums > Game Forums > Quake Live > Browser Game?

Patrick Bregger (299943) on 8/15/2010 3:11 PM · Permalink · Report

I thought "browser games" are only games which are played in a browser and are platform independent, which means only the used web browser matters? Quake Live specifically lists Windows as system requirement.

Kabushi (261192) on 8/15/2010 4:06 PM · Permalink · Report

No, just launching the game through the browser is enough for us to consider it a browser game. See Battlefield Heroes for a similar case.

leilei (343) on 8/19/2010 11:00 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]Quake Live specifically lists Windows as system requirement. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]

I'm not sure if you noticed on the site: Mac and Linux versions of the plugin are there as well. That's enough platform independence one would want unless you want to get fussy for consoles that browse. :)

Sciere (930479) on 8/19/2010 11:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Rule of thumb: the browser is an essential, central part of the game and cannot be ignored to access or play it, regardless of platform-specific plug-ins.

This is different from platform specific distributions/executables that then go on to incorporate a browser framework inside the application (would be a Windows game for instance).

Patrick Bregger (299943) on 8/20/2010 2:03 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

If I try to register with Opera it says on the error page:

"You must be using a combination of the following:

Windows XP
Windows Vista

Firefox 2.0 / 3.0
Internet Explorer 7 / 8

Support for Mac & Linux, along with alternative browsers is under development."

With Firefox the site doesn't load altogether so I can't test what it says there.

Sciere (930479) on 8/20/2010 2:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Maybe it's outdated, Mac/Linux support is already available at least a year.

leilei (343) on 8/20/2010 11:30 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It's very outdated, they haven't touched that page yet in so long, it doesn't even refer to Windows 7 or Firefox 3.5!