antstream
Written by  :  Mr Creosote (105)
Written on  :  Dec 26, 1999
read more reviews by Mr Creosote

Summary

Not very innovative-but still worth playing

The Good

It is a game in Civilization-style. The diplomacy is better than in most other games, especially the council is a great idea. The automatic governeurs help a lot in the later game.

The Bad

Well... everything I expected it to have. The changes since Civilization are not big enough. Most of the "new" features are already known from other games (e.g. the unit designer from Master of Orion). Why aren't there treaties between more than two factions? Many alliances do not work because they are in contrast to another treaty. There could have been done more with the council. The AI's behaviour towards the player because of different or similar ideologies are only hinted at.

The Bottom Line

It seems like Sid Meier's and Brian Reynolds' creative days are over. Their last innovative game was Civilization. Since then they only repeat themselves. Alpha Centauri is the latest evidence for that. Sure, it is a great game, playing it is fun, but I am not as enthusiastic about it as I was about Pirates or Civilization.

antstream