Forums > Game Forums > Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams > Best survival horror game?

Donatello (466) on 5/21/2007 12:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Who else agrees with me that SH2 is the best survival horror game out there?

I love it in every sense. It has an emotional and dark story, creepy and scary atmosphere and a main character who you can really sympathy for.

I know that the last point is debatable because of the truth that is revealed in the end but I for one really understood why James did that and I cared for him. It shows that even a good man can commit a dark deed under bad circumstances.

Even though I love all SH games, this really shines. First one's weakness is in my opinion the whole cult story and third one suffers at that too. Fourth is good, but it's story is forgettable.

There are tons of reasons why I love it but you should check out it yourself if you haven't already. It's not in my all-time favourite list for nothing and game must be REALLY good to get to my list. At least it should have a strong main character (not literally ofc.) and a story like Legacy of Kain or Silent Hill 2 has. If anyone can recommend something similar then I'm open to suggestions!

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/21/2007 1:36 PM · Permalink · Report

I agree with you!

Zovni (10504) on 5/21/2007 3:10 PM · Permalink · Report

It's certainly the best Silent Hill.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 5/21/2007 3:30 PM · Permalink · Report

But not the best survival horror game? Which one would you choose (just don't say Resident Evil 4!!)? ;)

Zovni (10504) on 5/21/2007 3:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Dunno. It probably is the best, the thing is that it still does a lot of things wrong and i just don't feel confortable calling a game like this the "best" at anything. Even in spite of Pyramid Head.

xroox (3895) on 5/21/2007 3:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The Pyramid Head 'sex' scene is one of the most inspired and disturbing things in video game history.

There are some amazing shock moments that actually made me leap out of my chair and SCREAM.

The gameplay generally is good.

Yet I seem to be in the minority in thinking that the story is AWFUL. And it's not helped by the comically bad voice 'acting' (in the English version, at least).

Plus there are way too many nonsensical puzzles involving keys and symbols with ridiculous names.

Is it the best survival horror game? It's definitely one of the best I've played, though I actually liked Silent Hill 1 a bit more.

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/22/2007 4:34 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start AlienX wrote--]Who else agrees with me that SH2 is the best survival horror game out there? [/Q --end AlienX wrote--] I don't know if I'd call it the best survival/horror per se because, frankly, I don't find it scary enough. That said, storytelling-wise it is my favorite game of all times, so there.

[Q --start AlienX wrote--]... and a main character who you can really sympathy for.

I know that the last point is debatable because of the truth that is revealed in the end ... [/Q --end AlienX wrote--] That, and also he's quite the moron... :P

chirinea (47496) on 5/22/2007 5:51 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] That, and also he's quite the moron... :P [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--] LOL! Damn, Doc, where the hell do you find that kind of thing? =D

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/23/2007 5:11 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--] [Q2 --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] That, and also he's quite the moron... :P [/Q2 --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--] LOL! Damn, Doc, where the hell do you find that kind of thing? =D [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] I guess it's some kind of gift :P Actually, you should see the kind of things that the girl in charge of bizarre links at my website finds. Now that is impressive.

chirinea (47496) on 5/23/2007 6:01 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--]Actually, you should see the kind of things that the girl in charge of bizarre links at my website finds. Now that is impressive. [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--] Heh, it seems that Espartana reached a whole new level of lifelessness! =D

And BTW, I liked your site pretty much, but I hated that snapshot preview thingy!

Indra was here (20756) on 5/23/2007 4:37 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The only way I'm every going to see another Survival Horror game, is if I'm accompanied by 5 naked chicks. And I obviously wouldn't be the one holding the joystick.

Silent Hill --> Survival Horror
Resident Evil --> Survival Humor
Survivor --> Horror

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 5/24/2007 2:15 AM · Permalink · Report

Silent Hill 2 is definitely the best one out there so far. I mean, its not perfect, but amongst the other competition it far outshines Alone in the Dark, Clock Tower, RE, etc.

That being said, I will always love Resident Evil much more. :-)