DescriptionTemple of Elemental Evil is a turn-based role-playing game using the AD&D Greyhawk campaign setting with 3.5 version D&D rules. The game plot revolves the (suspected) rise of evil, originating from the Temple of Elemental Evil.
In this game, players start with five generated (or pre-generated) party members in the start of the adventure (a maximum of eight, the later three comprising non-player characters). Unlike most AD&D games, the maximum level cap for characters in this game is the 10th level.
The party itself has an alignment (in addition to individual character alignments) which greatly affects the plot and choices the party makes throughout the game. Character alignments and the party alignment are now closely related. For example, a Lawful Good or Chaotic Evil character may not be selected within a True Neutral party alignment. Additionally, Paladins do not want to be in the same group with anyone evil.
Thus, depending on the party alignment (nine default alignments to choose from), players may either take the course of being the good heroes ridding evil from the land or be the evil raiders butchering anything that moves, all of which (may it be good, bad or neutral), may effect the party reputation.
- "灰鹰：邪恶元素的神殿" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "ToEE" -- Formal abbreviation
- "Świątynia Pierwotnego Zła" -- Polish title
- "Le Temple du Mal Elementaire: A Classic GreyHawk Adventure" -- French title
- "Il Tempio del Male Elementale: A Classic Greyhawk Adventure" -- Italian title
- "El Templo del mal elemental: Una aventura clásica de Greyhawk" -- Spanish title
- "Der Tempel des Elementaren Bösen: Ein klassisches Greyhawk Abenteuer" -- German title
Part of the Following Groups
- Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Setting: Greyhawk
- Dungeons & Dragons (D&D / AD&D) licensees
- Fantasy Creatures: Elves
- Gameplay feature: Optional permadeath / permanent death
|Game industry News (GiN)||2003||100|
|GameSpy||Sep 16, 2003||90|
|GameZone||Oct 21, 2003||8.4 out of 10||84|
|PC Action||Nov 07, 2003||82 out of 100||82|
|Armchair Empire, The||Dec 03, 2003||8 out of 10||80|
|IGN||Sep 22, 2003||7.5 out of 10||75|
|Game Shark||Jan 16, 2004||B||75|
|4Players.de||Nov 03, 2003||70 out of 100||70|
|Super Play (Sweden)||Oct, 2003||7 out of 10||70|
|JeuxVideoPC.com||Jul 09, 2005||13 out of 20||65|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Troika Patching Nightmare v3.0||4||Indra was here (20912)
Oct 09, 2007
|What's wrong with this game?||22||Atomic Punch! (194)
Aug 05, 2007
Cut ContentMost of the content, unique to playing an evil campaign was taken out of the game due to pressure by the publisher (Atari). An entire area with subquests (the brothel) was also removed because they were afraid to lose the T rating.
Luckily, the 'Circle of eight' fan group re-enabled the "Brothel" Map, NPC's, quest, and companion in their unofficial patches.
PatchesUpon release, the version out of the box was plagued with bugs: quests not ending properly, glitches in the D&D 3.5 rules, bugged items, crashes, monsters spawning in walls, ...
An eager fan community listed all the bugs on the Atari forums, hoping for a quick fix. When time passed and no patches appeared, one of the Troika developers stated in a post that Atari had ended the contract with them when TTOEE was released, so they wouldn't get paid for developing patches.
There's nothing worse than a bunch of angry gamers, so some fans decided to reverse engineer and decompile some of the code. They were successful and a group called 'Circle of eight' created custom unofficial patches that fixed all the bugs.
This was too much of a stain on the Atari corporate image, so they announced an official patch on 30th september, 2003. Almost two months after the release, on 10th november, 2003, the patch was finally available, but without the efforts and persistence of fans, the game would have stayed bug-ridden.
- 2003 – Old School RPG Award (PC)
Related Web Sites
- Circle of Eight (A fan group that has developed unofficial patches fixing various issues and restoring removed content such as the Nulb brothel and the quests associated with it.)
- The Temple of Elemental Evil (Official website)
Lead Designer / Project Leader:
Snr VP International Product Services: