🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption > How do I run this on modern OS? (and getting a way to run in a window)

BlaringCoder (169) on 6/20/2016 5:44 PM · Permalink · Report

As the thread calls it, how on earth do I get to run this on modern OS? I know this is from 2000, and I tested it on XP a year ago or so, it worked. Now, does someone know how to get this working on 10? OK, now is there a way to run this in a window via command-line?

Cavalary (11445) on 6/20/2016 8:16 PM · Permalink · Report

-window it would seem. No idea about Win 10 (shudder) though, not listed as supported for it even in the GOG version.

BlaringCoder (169) on 6/21/2016 2:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the help. The solo component works on 10, but the multiplayer component doesn't. It needs directplay. What should I do?

BlaringCoder (169) on 6/21/2016 2:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Also, it kind of works on 10. What should I do, while it needs DirectPlay for the LAN multiplayer component? WON is dead, too.

vedder (70812) on 6/21/2016 5:00 PM · Permalink · Report

You could install Windows XP on your PC (it can be installed on a different partition so that you can choose on boot which OS to run). Alternatively you can try to find a cheap 2nd hand computer or laptop which runs Windows XP.

BlaringCoder (169) on 6/21/2016 5:24 PM · Permalink · Report

From what I saw, Hamachi can be also used to look for online multiplayer via LAN. Tried putting DPLAY.DLL, but won't even work. Maybe a Windows 2000 VM should work (it was designed on I think).

phantom goat on 6/30/2016 3:14 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Basically you're playing the game in multiplayer by choosing LAN. Tungle has been popular lately for multiplayer with other players over the internet. I recommend playing the game with the Age of Redemption mod (lets you play the game in multiplayer solo, or have friends help you play it). FYI, the last release was 2015 and it's still bettering the multiplayer experience with every release. Works on Windows 7, and 10 + there's help on the forum if you run into any issues.

Good links here: http://e-mods.net/ http://e-mods.net/forum/ www.planetvampire.com

BlaringCoder (169) on 6/30/2016 9:36 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks. This does really solve the multiplayer bug on 10? This is the best idea I found out.

BlaringCoder (169) on 6/30/2016 9:38 AM · Permalink · Report

Other question: Can you directly link it to me?

BlaringCoder (169) on 6/30/2016 11:23 AM · Permalink · Report

Ran it on AOR. Same result. Running it on a Windows 2000 VM: Crashes upon startup.