DescriptionIn the future, on the planet Hillys, the population suffers from constant attacks from the alien DomZ. The situation is gradually getting worse, as the rate of DomZ kidnapings increases. The Alpha Section forces, who are in charge of protecting citizens, seem to be completely ineffective, not even fighting the DomZ. In the midst of this situation, the secretive organization IRIS alleges that the Alpha Section is involved in a massive government conspiracy, and seeks to expose the truth through journalism.
The player controls a young reporter and photographer named Jade with her companions Pey'j and Double H. After experiencing first-hand a DomZ attack, she is contacted by IRIS, who recruits her as an action reporter. Jade is now tasked with infiltrating the Alpha Section, exposing the government conspiracy, and ultimately finding the truth for herself.
Beyond Good & Evil is an action game with diverse gameplay. Much of the game is based on stealth and puzzles, but there are sequences of racing, shooting, combat, and platform action. Jade fights with her staff and also uses various abilities to execute long-ranged attacks and solve puzzles. Many of the puzzles require switching between the characters and using their special abilities; often it is necessary to coordinate the actions of two characters to achieve precise co-operation that leads to a puzzle's solution. Besides hostile areas with puzzles and enemies, there is also a city and other friendly areas to explore, where various items and gadgets can (and sometimes must) be bought. There are several mini-games and even an online ranking system (used by entering codes online after they are assigned in-game when the game is saved).
There are no Xbox user screenshots for this game.
There are 163 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
- "超越善恶" -- Ubisoft Store Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "神鬼冒險" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "撕裂的天堂" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "За гранью добра и зла" -- Russian spelling
- "Project BG&E" -- Working title
- "Beyond Good & Evil HD" -- Xbox 360 / PS3 title
- "Between Good & Evil" -- Working title
Part of the Following Groups
- Game Engine: JADE
- Gameplay feature: Photography
- Green Pepper releases
- Protagonist: Female
- Protagonist: Journalist / Reporter
- Software Pyramide releases
- Ubisoft eXclusive releases
|Creative genius. Simple, amazing, fun.||Andrew Carter (2)|
|Game Chronicles||Mar 17, 2004||9.5 out of 10||95|
|GameZone||Dec 21, 2003||9.2 out of 10||92|
|Stratos Group||Jan 27, 2004||4.5 out of 5||90|
|IGN||Nov 11, 2003||9 out of 10||90|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Feb 20, 2004||18 out of 20||90|
|Video Game Talk||Jan 19, 2004||90|
|HonestGamers (Staff reviews only)||Jan 01, 2006||9 out of 10||90|
|GameSpy||Nov 11, 2003||90|
|GameSpot||Nov 13, 2003||8.3 out of 10||83|
|1UP||May 09, 2004||7.5 out of 10||75|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesBeyond Good & Evil appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
JadeJade's character design is actually based on her French voice actress Emma De Caunes.
NietzscheIn an interview on LadyGamers.com, Tyrone Miller explains how the game relates to Nietzsche:
Many people assume that Beyond Good & Evil is a reference to the Friedrich Nietzsche book by the same name. Although you could probably make an argument – this game really has no connection to the German philosopher. As an action reporter, players need to investigate beyond the superficial facts of what is good and what is evil – which is dictated through government propaganda in the game. The player has to see what nobody else can see, what is hidden to the people of Hyllis. This theme is relevant to issues we face today – understanding the reasons behind the apparent facts.
Promotional websitesThe publishers registered the websites for both the iris network (www.irisnetwork.net) and the Hyllian gov. (www.hylliannews.com) both featuring promotional material and assorted stuff.
Save games codeAll the saved games in Beyond Good & Evil are marked with an "Internet Code". The purpose of this code is two-fold, first it enables you to go to the official website and check your ranking against all the other BG&E players in the world. Secondly, upon completion of the main game, you'll be able to use your saved game code on the official website and obtain instructions on how to go about obtaining missing MDisk #13 within the game.
- In the Beginning
- Dancing With Domz
- Home Sweet Home
- Hyllian Suite
- Mammago's Garage
- Isle de Noir
- Mineshaft Madness
- Say Cheese, Fellas
- Akuda House Propaganda
- Ancient Chinese Secrets
- Don't Fear the Reaper
- Fear the Reaper
- Fun and Mini-Games
- Funky Bar 100
- When Domz Attack
- Slaughterhouse Scramble
- Sneaky Jade Suite
- Organic Beauty
- Violent Jade Suite
- Heart of Darkness
- Metal Gear Domz
- Something Completely Different
- Behind Enemy Lines
- Free Your Mind
- Thoughtful Reflections
- Enfants Disparus
- Above and Beyond
- Unacceptable Losses
- In Hot Pursuit
- Sins of the Father
TitleAccording to Michel Ancel, the game was originally to be named Between Good & Evil, but the marketing department did not like that name, so it was changed to Beyond Good & Evil.
The original title I gave the game was Between Good & Evil (see my first logo included) - which the marketing department didn’t like back then. For me, the meaning of this title is that you are always in the middle of an internal and external conflict, based on our conception of good and evil. In this game and in our world, propaganda thinks in our place; tells us these are our enemies and these are our friends. When you go beyond the appearances, you discover your own truth. That’s the theme of the game and marketing finally accepted this title, and just replaced the between by beyond, which fits better with the vast universe and story.
- 2003 – Best PC Action-Adventure Game of the Year
- 2003 – Best Console Direction of the Year
- 2003 – Best PC Music of the Year
- 2003 – Best PC Direction of the Year
- 2003 – Biggest PC Surprise of the Year
- February 2006 (Issue #200) - #171 out of 200 of the "Greatest Games of Their Time"
- 2003 – #3 Game of the Year
- 2003 – #2 GameCube Game of the Year
- PC Powerplay (Germany)
- Issue 06/2005 - #8 Likeable Secondary Character (for Pey'j)
Related Web Sites
- Beyond Good & Evil (official website)
- Beyond Good & Evil (Official Web Site)
- Beyond Good & Evil Revolution (A Beyond Good & Evil fansite forum)
- Developer Interview (Xequted interviews Michel Ancel about Beyond Good & Evil. (March 5, 2004))
- Download Page (Obtain the Windows Patches from this UbiSoft's download page.)
- GameFaqs Guides (Strategies and Walkthroughs for BG&E on all platforms)
- Khryon's Walkthrough for Windows version (posted on Gameboomers.com)
- Wikipedia: Beyond Good & Evil (article in the open encyclopedia about the game)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.