DescriptionGladiator: Sword of Vengeance is an action game that takes place in the times of the Roman empire. You take control of Invictus Thrax, a Roman slave, who ascended through the ranks to become champion of all gladiators. Favored by the emperor, Invictus was to be granted his freedom. Mysteriously though, the emperor was killed and replaced by a crazy man named Arruntius. Arruntius, so full of himself, has decided to destroy Rome and replace it with a city named Arruntium. As the game begins, an epic event is staged with Invictus as the gladiator. Invictus fights bravely, but he is killed by an unknown and possibly un-human creature. In the afterlife, Invictus meets the sons of Jupiter. They inform him of how Arruntius' power came from help of the gods of terror. They charge him with the task of eliminating Arruntius and restoring Rome to glory.
Gladiator is essentially an 3d action/combat game which features hand to hand combat with weapons, combos and magic. The action also includes maneuvering around, from gliding down ropes to jumping traps. Challenges are scattered around the game world, which when defeated, unlock magical powers granted by the gods, such as Pluto's power, which raises spirits from the dead to help you in battle. A unique feature of the game is the execution maneuver. Upon the near death of certain enemies, you can execute this maneuver which will result in a cinematic random brutal execution by Thrax.
The game's graphics try to recreate the atmosphere of gladiator films such as Ben-Hur. A wide range of characters are featured from opposing gladiators to mythical enemies like cyclopes, demons. and skeleton warriors. Audio features include a blend of soft and hectic tunes, and voice over acting.
There are no Xbox user screenshots for this game.
There are 15 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
- "Месть гладиатора" -- Russian spelling
- "I, Gladiator" -- Development title
- "Gladiator: Schwert der Rache" -- German title (Censored version)
Part of the Following Group
|Entertaining hack n’ slash fare, with limited lasting appeal.||Nick Drew (412)|
|XBox-Zone||Nov 21, 2003||83 out of 100||83|
|IGN||Nov 03, 2003||8 out of 10||80|
|Next Level Gaming||Nov 04, 2003||79 out of 100||79|
|Digital Entertainment News (den)||Jan 13, 2004||7.8 out of 10||78|
|GameZone||Oct 24, 2003||7 out of 10||70|
|GameSpy||Nov 09, 2003||60|
|Game Informer Magazine||Nov, 2003||5.75 out of 10||58|
|DreamStation.cc||Dec 28, 2003||4.5 out of 10||45|
|GamePro (US)||Nov 05, 2003||2 out of 5||40|
|Super Play (Sweden)||Nov, 2003||4 out of 10||40|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Advertising CampaignAcclaim billed this game as their bloodiest ever, but how do you get that message out? Bloodvertising! Acclaim planned (not sure how this turned out) to place advertisements in UK bus shelters that would bleed. For six days, cartridges behind the ads would spurt red dye which would spill out on to the ground (and cleaned up at the end of the one-week campaign).
CreditsWatch the credits for humorous "outtakes" and other surprises.
German ReleasesTwo versions of this game were released in Germany: an uncut version with the red USK age rating logo and a "modified" version which qualified for the USK 12 age rating. The modified version is easily recognised by the German subtitle Schwert der Rache (i.e. Sword of Vengeance), the uncut German version still has the English title, although the package blurb and the manual are in German. The games are identical, there simply is one gory version and one with reduced violence for the "younger players".
- In this game, Romulus and Remus are presented as the children of Jupiter. In traditional mythology, they are identified as the children of Mars and are responsible for founding Rome. Romulus is said to have killed Remus, so we can guess who's wearing the comedy mask and who's wearing the tragedy mask in the game.
- The Dark Gods of the game, Phobos and Deimos, are called the "errant children of Mars." Errant maybe, but they belong to the Greek mythic tradition which places them as the children of Ares. They represent the aspects of Fear and Terror. Interestingly, Acclaim has much of this information on their web site.
- Historically, Emperor Trajan reigned from 98-117 AD (or CE). This game is set in 106 AD/CE but the story allows for any discrepancies. Trajan's achievements were set in stone, the famous Trajan Column, and he was followed by Hadrian, famous for the Hadrian Wall.
SalesSales of this game were clearly far below the expected levels. Enough to have contributed to Acclaim's bankruptcy? You decide. Lot number 2013 in the "pick the bones" auction of Acclaim's assets consisted of Nineteen Thousand One Hundred Seventy Three (19,173) unsold copies of Gladiator: Sword of Vengeance for PC.
Information also contributed by ClydeFrog and partykiller.
Related Web Sites
- Gladiator: Sword of Vengeance (Official Acclaim site. Learn about the game and its characters, see clips from the game, read the latest news and more.)
- Wikipedia: Gladiator: Sword of Vengeance (Information about Gladiator: Sword of Vengeance at Wikipedia)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.