🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse > The Green Posteffect

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/3/2007 10:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Does anybody how the get rid of stupid posteffect that saturates the screen with an awful shade of green? At first I thought my video card is malfunctioning again but all the screenshots here have the same greenish shade to them. I guess it was supposed to be some kind of "zombie vision" but it looks awful.

As for the game, it's marvelous. I think I have a thing for comedic violence and gore. First Conkers and now this.

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/4/2007 1:35 AM · Permalink · Report

I've been curious about this one for a while, but not so much as to give it a try. Care to make a quick "firstlook review" here for the team? :D

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/4/2007 10:47 AM · Permalink · Report

I haven't played very far because of that stupid green posteffect. It completely ruins otherwise a pretty decent picture. Apart from that the game seems to be quite nice.

You see, in most of the zombie themed games a main hero arrives in already zombie-infested city/village/factory to cleanse it. This time you're given a look into how exactly this infestation process happens. You start creating zombies out of people and then they live a life of their own, doing everything a decent zombie should do, like walking around aimlessly, moaning and converting more followers to your... hm.. "cause". And all this is sauced up with a 50's retro atmosphere, therefore you also get a "b-movie" feel to everything.

The game plays like a standard TPS. You run around, eating people brains, trying to get to the end of the level. There are also obligatory "special powers" to unlock. I won't spoil them for you, but they are really "special". All in all the game tries hard to be stupid and fun. It achieves that so far. However, as I said I haven't seen much of this game yet, just a couple of levels.

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/6/2007 2:12 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, been playing the demo for about 5 minutes, and it seems like a fantastic game. Worst case scenario, it will be a blast to play through because the controls are pretty tight. If, on top of that, the story is as funny as you say, then it can only get better and better.

As for the graphics, I think I see what you mean --in fact, that grainy-brownish-green effect reminds me a lot of the visuals in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, and personally it doesn't bother me much, so yay I guess :D I'm definitely getting this one.

Shoddyan (15004) on 8/6/2007 10:32 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--]Does anybody how the get rid of stupid posteffect that saturates the screen with an awful shade of green? At first I thought my video card is malfunctioning again but all the screenshots here have the same greenish shade to them. I guess it was supposed to be some kind of "zombie vision" but it looks awful.[/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--]

Unless there's an option in the video settings (or something suggested on forums) I'm guessing you're stuck with it. I know sometimes I've wished I could turn off the "brown colored bloom" that is popular in certain games these days.

On the other hand, that effect is probably needed turned on to submit "accurate" screenshots for this game.

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/6/2007 3:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--]

On the other hand, that effect is probably needed turned on to submit "accurate" screenshots for this game. [/Q --end WildKard wrote--]

It was. That made me understand that there is nothing wrong with my video card. Yes, it's that bad. I guess I could've figured out which file in shaders folder to delete, but if there's no easier solution it doesn't seem to be worth the trouble.

The problem is that it doesn't suit the game at all. I expected the game set in the 50's America to have bright and vibrant colors of advertisements with painted photographs of happy people smiling. I wanted blood to be red as ketchup. Instead I got dark and gloomy effect that would've suited Resident Evil, and the blood that looks like oil.

To further illustrate my point here are two sceeshots. One of them is taken from the first level where the effect was apparently not included, and the other one is from the second level starting from which it is present always.

Shot 1

Shot 2

Just a very bad artistic decision.