DescriptionSet after the events of the 1982 John Carpenter movie, The Thing is a squad based 3rd person shooter, where each member of your team is equipped with a range of weapons and items to help you in your quest to destroy The Thing.
You must use every player in the squad if you wish to proceed through each level, and once you find one of the thousands of alien creatures through-out the complex, weapons such as flame throwers, pistols and more come into play.
20 levels are on offer, with humans scattered around the area. But are they friend or an infected foe? Trust is the key to success.
There are no Xbox user screenshots for this game.
There are 54 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
- "突变怪物" -- Simplified Chinese spelling
- "Нечто" -- Russian spelling
- "Yuusei kara no Buttai X: Episode II" -- Japanese title
- "The Thing: O Enigma de Outro Mundo" -- Brazilian title
- "Nechto" -- Russian title
- "La Cosa" -- Spanish title
- "La Cosa" -- Italian title
- "Das Ding aus einer anderen Welt" -- German title
Part of the Following Groups
|Not a "bad" game, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, really.||kbmb (435)||unrated|
|Another good game, great box art, that's what sold it for me.||David Lafferty (16)||unrated|
|GameSpot||Sep 11, 2002||8.8 out of 10||88|
|Game Chronicles||Oct 04, 2002||8.6 out of 10||86|
|Armchair Empire, The||Sep 29, 2002||8.6 out of 10||86|
|Game Over Online||Sep 26, 2002||85 out of 100||85|
|GameSpy||Sep 13, 2002||85 out of 100||85|
|IGN||Aug 29, 2002||8.3 out of 10||83|
|Retroage||Mar 12, 2011||8.3 out of 10||83|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Sep 16, 2002||16 out of 20||80|
|GamePro (US)||Oct 04, 2002||4 out of 5||80|
|The Video Game Critic||Jan 25, 2014||C||50|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Audio filesIf you use WinRAR, you can extract a hidden audio file from The Thing's data folder. The file: "creditsspeech.ogg", is an easter egg featuring Presidents Bush II, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, game characters, and others congratulating Blake on a job well done.
CameoJohn Carpenter himself makes a cameo appearance as Dr. Faraday, the head of Gen Inc you meet halfway through the game. Apparently Carpenter went down to the programmer's studios and had his face scanned into the game. This explains why Carpenter says the game has "an incredibly cool and handsome character in Dr. Faraday" in his praise of the game on the inside cover of the box.
German versionThere are various changes in the German version:
- Almost all blood effects removed
- The mutation animation was shortened
- Headless corpses used as level decoration were replaced with regular corpses and cut off limbs removed altogether
- Team members don't perform suicide
- Death animations of humans were removed
- Removed death cries
- In two cutscenes violent scenes were removed
InspirationThe Thing is based on the 1982 cult movie The Thing by John Carpenter. That movie is actually a remake of 1951's The Thing From Another World by Howard Hawks and that movie in turn is based on the 1943 short story Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell.
TransformationWhen your NPC teammates turn into the Thing, they generally turn into the same monster... one with a head that looks a little like a skinless lizard. However, there is one character called Fisk who, if infected, transforms into a slightly different looking Thing with a distorted, stretched-out human face.
Since Fisk is a Gen Inc trooper, and since the troopers were originally supposed to be infected humans who would burst out to attack you, it's possible this is a leftover from the original game design, especially since the Fisk-Thing seems kind of buggy as it's head tends to disappear when you look at it from different angles.
- Near the beginning of the game, you'll find the sign seen at the first part of the movie noting where you are.
- A few moments later you will get into some pit, where you will find the remains of MacReady's shack. Inside the shack, you will find the recorder with MacReady's message. It is not the original recording done in the movie. Rather, it was done by a soundalike, and was timed differently.
- In the room where you encounter the character named Carter, you will find the infamous Norwegian who cut his own throat to avoid being taken over.
- The first set of CCTV camera controls you get to mess with will switch you to a view of the room behind a door needing an access code. Fans of the movie will instantly recognize this room: Look around and you'll find the ice block the Thing was originally thawed from!
TrailerIf you let the game's menu screen sit for a minute or two, the game's trailer starts. The trailer is also available if you explore the installed FMV folder.
Information also contributed by Alan Chan, CaptainCanuck, Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze and Terrence Bosky.
Related Web Sites
- Something Awful review (A humorous review on Something Awful (PC version))