Forums > Game Forums > Double Dragon > MSX Screenshots

RetroArchives.fr (709) on 11/30/2018 3:35 PM · Permalink · Report

For what I've seen, the screenshots presented in the MSX section of the game are not from the official version (which looked pretty identical to the ZX Spectrum port) but from an unofficial bootleg version made by fans

Rwolf (22823) on 12/1/2018 5:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Have not seen any other version for MSX really, but I'm no expert on this game.

This site claims it's an unofficial port: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/double-dragon/

This site claims it's legit: https://doubledragon.kontek.net/games/dd/rddmsx.html

Infernos (44105) on 12/1/2018 6:07 PM · Permalink · Report

According to Generation-MSX there were two versions of Double Dragon released for the MSX. First one ported by Xortrapa Soft and published by Dro Soft (only in Spain?) in 1988. Second one by Zemina released in South Korea in 1989. The current MSX screens are for the Zemina version. Looks like most if not all of their games are unauthorized ports. Here's some more info about Zemina.

Freeman (65090) on 12/1/2018 10:32 PM · Permalink · Report

It also seems that both the Amstrad CPC & C64 had two separate versions released for each platform. Both Amstrad versions seem to have been handled by Binary Domain, but by different teams. The first cassette release seems to have been very poor and Virgin wanted it completely re-done. This new version was handled by Richard Aplin and was based on his work on the Atari St/Amiga versions (see: here & here). According to this video, the Mastertronic plus budget re-release is based on the earlier cassette version.

For the two different C64 versions, see the Double Dragon Dojo site (older version / newer version). The HCG101 link posted above by Rwolf says that the newer Ocean version was programmed by Imagitec, though I couldn't find any independent verification on that.