🕹ī¸ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Fallout 3 > Where's Moriarty?

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 2/20/2009 5:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Apparently I have only done side-quests so far after starting over and to advance the main quest I need to "talk to Moriarty about my father". The problem is this: I can't find him anywhere in Megaton and as long as I'm in the city, his position is shown on the world map near Springvale School, but as soon as I leave Megaton the compass points me back to Megaton while the worldmap still says he's somewhere near the school. I've looked through all walkthroughs at gamefaqs and the wiki, but it says nowhere that he ever leaves Megaton, nor is it listed as known bug. Did anyone have a similar problem?

St. Martyne (3648) on 2/20/2009 8:26 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Apparently it is a known bug. Possible solutions are also explained there.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 2/20/2009 9:15 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--]Apparently it is a known bug. Possible solutions are also explained there. [/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--] D'oh! I only checked the entry for the quest. Thanks.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 2/22/2009 12:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Apparently, one possible solution is to jump over the walls from the top of Lucas Simms' house, but how do I get to the very top? Or is it possible to jump from a different position. There are also two doors that I cant't interact with, but I hope it's meant to be that way.

Indra was here (20755) on 2/20/2009 8:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The NPCs are a bit tricky in Fallout 3. Me and my buddies have found several odd circumstances of NPCs not being where they're supposed to be (I actually found one half across the map where he's supposed to be... --> found Shrapnel, the bloke who sells guns in that SE town, somewhere in the NW side of the map).

Other instances, is they end up being dead, which in Megaton has a bad habit of happening, usually some NPCs fall off and die which once prompted me to load/restart the dang game.

The compass is usually right. If you can't find him, it probably because he's stuck in a wall or something. :p

Advise: Load game. Shit happens.

Slug Camargo (583) on 2/21/2009 5:43 AM · Permalink · Report

This bug-talk reminds me that, out of a couple crashes to desktop, I haven't found a single bug worth mentioning so far. And mind you I did all kinds of twisted stuff that could've easily break some quests in the best of cases and make my computer explode in the worst =P

I guess this game really, really likes me.

vedder (70796) on 2/21/2009 11:01 AM · Permalink · Report

The only bug in Fallout 3 I got was when I was sending the slaves to Lincoln Memorial. They are supposed to just walk there and wait for me to talk to them. But instead, the walked there, refused to talk to me (I was waiting there already), started traveling half the world and then returned there a couple days later and then everything worked fine.

I had 2 lockups during loading and maybe 2 CTDs. So all in all not bad, especially considering that normally in run into virtually every single possible bug in every game I play. (It's some kind of curse I got going)

Slug Camargo (583) on 2/22/2009 12:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh, by the way, my stupid slaves won't go to the Memorial because they want me to give them a picture of it. Problem is, I got the picture (along with all the other Lincoln-related stuff) a while ago and sold it to that museum guy up at Rivet City (well, except for the repeater, which is just too awesome to part ways with it =3 ). Does anyone know a way to fix this pickle or are those slaves gonna be waiting forever for that bleeding pic?

—- (1623) on 2/22/2009 12:49 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--]Oh, by the way, my stupid slaves won't go to the Memorial because they want me to give them a picture of it. Problem is, I got the picture (along with all the other Lincoln-related stuff) a while ago and sold it to that museum guy up at Rivet City (well, except for the repeater, which is just too awesome to part ways with it =3 ). Does anyone know a way to fix this pickle or are those slaves gonna be waiting forever for that bleeding pic? [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--]

Are you sure it was the right picture? The poster that's on the museum's second floor, on the wall right up the stairs? The picture is supposed to show up only once that stone mason guy gives you the quest. Did you visit the museum before you got the quest? It would be kinda strange that the game would allow you to turn in quest-relevant items.

If it's really gone, the slaves are screwed.

EDIT - If you gave it to him, you might be able to pickpocket it back.

Slug Camargo (583) on 2/22/2009 9:28 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ash Ligast II wrote--] Are you sure it was the right picture? The poster that's on the museum's second floor, on the wall right up the stairs? The picture is supposed to show up only once that stone mason guy gives you the quest. Did you visit the museum before you got the quest? It would be kinda strange that the game would allow you to turn in quest-relevant items.

If it's really gone, the slaves are screwed.

EDIT - If you gave it to him, you might be able to pickpocket it back. [/Q --end Ash Ligast II wrote--] Well look at that, I went back to the museum and the picture was there indeed. Now, whether it only appeared once I was asked for it (like you said it would) or I missed it the first time I was there because only recently did I learn that I could turn the light of the Pipboy on and all this time I would just stumble about in dark areas and randomly click everywhere (those tips in the loading screen should be better shuffled) (or maybe this is an example on the importance of reading the manual), I'll never know.

In any case, giving the picture to the guy became yet another nightmare, because one of those giant beasts with large claws broke into the slaves' building, and the first person it would take down was precisely the picture guy. It took me about seven hundred thousand reloads to finally take down the beast before it killed the guy, and not shoot any of the slaves in the way.

Right now I'm supposed to meet them at the memorial, but I guess they got lost somewhere in the way because I've been visiting the place periodicallt for two in-game days and they haven't showed up yet.

By the way, I did try to pickpocket the Rivet City guy, but he didn't have any of the stuff I sold him on him. Neither did he have any of it at home, I turned his room upside down and found nothing. Too bad, it would've been sort of funny to steal back everything I sold him =P

—- (1623) on 2/22/2009 11:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--] only recently did I learn that I could turn the light of the Pipboy on and all this time I would just stumble about in dark areas and randomly click everywhere (those tips in the loading screen should be better shuffled) [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--] Yeah, that seems to happen to pretty much everyone playing the game, including yours truly :P

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--] Right now I'm supposed to meet them at the memorial, but I guess they got lost somewhere in the way because I've been visiting the place periodicallt for two in-game days and they haven't showed up yet.[/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--] Same thing happened to me. Try looking for them at the entrance to the subway that's closest to the memorial (I think in north-east direction). They should arrive from there. If not, try to use the "wait" function a couple of times at the station.

vedder (70796) on 2/22/2009 3:03 AM · Permalink · Report

I think the picture only spawns after they asked for it, so you'll have to get back to the museum. The marker will show its exact location.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/21/2009 11:51 AM · Permalink · Report

The game crashed very often on me. Really, really often.

But the worst was a story-stopping bug that occurred in that quest where you accompany a bunch of scientists (including your Dad) to that memorial. Dad refused to go in until I cleared the dungeon of enemies. But when I returned to him, he was silently running into a tree outside. I tried talking to him. According to the FAQs, he was supposed to say "Thanks son, let's go kick some ass" or something like that. Instead, he opened his mouth, grinned idiotically, and then shut it back - all while still running into the damn tree.

I actually shot him after that. Repeatedly. He was bleeding a lot, but kept grinning bravely and moronically. I shot him till he fell down. Then he stood up and resumed running into a tree.

I had to restart the whole quest again.

Indra was here (20755) on 2/21/2009 7:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Not many bugs as I would have expected though. None of them really critical...although I would have preferred that certain NPCs be "invincible" at least until the quest is completed...or at least an option to make them invincible.

There were 2 quest bugs I recall of. One was the aftermath of blowing up Megaton. There was supposed to be a pile of dead bodies in whathisname Tower, but no bodies were found.

And there Big Town quest, were there was an option to repair 2 robots there...but no robots.

I can't seem to bring myself to play this game again.