Forums > Game Forums > Final Fantasy XIII-2: Opponent - Ultros & Typhon > Japanese title romanization

Fred VT (25953) on 1/8/2014 1:16 PM · Permalink · Report

How should this be romanized: エネミー「オルトロス&テュポーン」 I would write Enemy: Orthros and Tupon

Ultros is named Orthros in some languages, and since the kana name begins with an 'O', I'd use this one. Other possibilities are Ultros, Ortros, Oltros.

The other one is either Tupon or Tyupon.

Adzuken (836) on 1/8/2014 3:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Wouldn't the romanization be the literal transcription? Orutorosu & Tyupōn? I think Ultros & Tupon would be considered a full translation. However, this is probably better left to our more fluent members with more experience.

Terok Nor (41968) on 1/8/2014 3:58 PM · Permalink · Report

I have no knowledge of Japanese, but yeah, if it isn't an English word, use literal transcription. Otherwise it's just guesswork.

Fred VT (25953) on 1/8/2014 4:03 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Orutorosu & Tyupōn would be the same as having "Fainaru Fantajii" in my opinion. Both names actually haves translated versions. I think "te"+ small "yu" is "Tu" (like "fu"+ small "a"="Fa". It's the main reason why I asked if Tupōn was the better transilteration.

Nah...Te+yu is Tyu, Tu would be Te+U (like the Ta in Tactics is Te+A, not Ya)

Adzuken (836) on 1/8/2014 4:28 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Fred VT wrote--]Orutorosu & Tyupōn would be the same as having "Fainaru Fantajii" in my opinion. Both names actually haves translated versions. I think "te"+ small "yu" is "Tu" (like "fu"+ small "a"="Fa". It's the main reason why I asked if Tupōn was the better transilteration.

Nah...Te+yu is Tyu, Tu would be Te+U (like the Ta in Tactics is Te+A, not Ya) [/Q --end Fred VT wrote--] We may just be stuck on semantics as to what constitutes romanization and translation. To answer your original question, you're likely right about it being it being Orthros. The ULT sound seems to be done with a "U", as seen in Ultraman (ウルトラマン).

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 1/8/2014 4:29 PM · Permalink · Report

We don't allow literal katakana transcriptions for foreign words in Japanese. Especially not proper names! Foreign words should be spelled the same way as they are in the language they come from. Literal transcription would be equivalent to spelling an English release of, say, a game like Déjà Vu "Dayzhah Voo".

Adzuken (836) on 1/8/2014 4:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind.

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 1/8/2014 4:32 PM · Permalink · Report

It's Orthros and Typhon. Both are monsters from Greek mythology.

leilei (343) on 1/8/2014 5:49 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah but historically, Ultros was called Ultros way back in FF3US in '94.

Fred VT (25953) on 1/8/2014 5:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Ultros keeps his name is all the English translations, but is called Orthros in French versions (and other languages). Typhon was also called Chupon in one version...

Here we are discussing how to submit the Japanese title (I submitted "Enemy: Orthros & Typhon".

Adzuken (836) on 1/8/2014 6:02 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Fred VT wrote--]Ultros keeps his name is all the English translations, but is called Orthros in French versions (and other languages). Typhon was also called Chupon in one version...

Here we are discussing how to submit the Japanese title (I submitted "Enemy: Orthros & Typhon". [/Q --end Fred VT wrote--] Yeah, is it really Typhon in this instance? Tyupōn isn't even close in pronunciation.

Fred VT (25953) on 1/8/2014 6:07 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--] [Q2 --start Fred VT wrote--]Ultros keeps his name is all the English translations, but is called Orthros in French versions (and other languages). Typhon was also called Chupon in one version...

Here we are discussing how to submit the Japanese title (I submitted "Enemy: Orthros & Typhon". [/Q2 --end Fred VT wrote--] Yeah, is it really Typhon in this instance? Tyupōn isn't even close in pronunciation. [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--]

Indeed, it is the official Japanese form for the Greek mythos: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%86%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9D%E3%83%BC%E3%83%B3

Игги Друге (46653) on 1/11/2014 5:00 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--] Yeah, is it really Typhon in this instance? Tyupōn isn't even close in pronunciation. [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--]

I think it's as close to classical Greek as you can get in Japanese.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (94209) on 1/11/2014 5:48 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Игги Друге wrote--] I think it's as close to classical Greek as you can get in Japanese. [/Q --end Игги Друге wrote--] Incidentally, one of the more esoteric aspects of my day job is deciphering the names of Greek and Norse mythological figures rendered phonetically in Chinese.

It's, uh... "fun".

Игги Друге (46653) on 1/8/2014 6:02 PM · Permalink · Report

It's good to know that there are some people who know Japanese and at the same time have a modicum of Bildung.