DescriptionXenon 2: Megablast is a vertically scrolling space shooter, in which you have to pass several levels, filled with waves of enemies, that all end with a level boss creature. Each group of enemies you destroy grants you a cash reward and every once in a while you enter Colin's Bargain Basement, where you can use this cash to purchase upgrades for your ship like better weapons, speed & health upgrades, etc. Some upgrades can also be picked up during the levels.
The first part of the game has an organic feel to it, while the second part of the game features mechanical enemies. As there are some maze-like sections with dead-ends in the game, your spaceship scrolls backwards when you keep pressing the down key.
- "Xenon II" -- Game Boy in-game copyright title
- "Xenon 2" -- Sega Master System media and in-game title / Game Boy title
Part of the Following Groups
|The One for ST Games||Atari ST||Jun, 1991||100|
|The One for Amiga Games||Amiga||Jun, 1991||100|
|The One||Atari ST||Aug, 1989||93 out of 100||93|
|ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)||Amiga||Oct, 1989||910 out of 1000||91|
|Amiga User International||Amiga||Nov, 1989||9 out of 10||90|
|Commodore User||Amiga||Oct, 1989||88 out of 100||88|
|Score||Amiga||Jul, 1995||8 out of 10||80|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Atari ST||Sep, 1989||9.6 out of 12||80|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Genesis||Aug, 1992||9 out of 12||75|
|Video Games||SEGA Master System||Mar, 1991||57 out of 100||57|
There are currently no topics for this game.
DOS versionThe DOS version of the game starts up with the in-game music turned off as default. The PC speaker version of the song, coupled with the sound effects of the game, would drive anyone to madness. The sound effects masked the Bomb the Bass tune playing in the background. The other versions of the game have music turned on as default.
EndingSPOILER WARNING! Don’t read this item if you want to play through the game by yourself.
Xenon 2: Megablast is infamous for having one of the most disappointing ending sequences of all time. No artwork, no animation, no storyline, not even a congratulation -- after a strenuous battle with hundreds of enemies, you’re “rewarded” with the already well-known shop screen and a sarcastic comment. After that, a white dot. Then the main menu.
MusicThe theme tune is Megablast by Bomb the Bass. This was released in the UK ca. 1988 on the album Into the Dragon. It is a reworking of the theme from the John Carpenter movie Assault on Precinct 13.
The Amiga soundtrack is regarded as a much better soundtrack than the Atari ST version, thanks to its sampled nature instead of the weaker synth sound of the ST version. An obscure detail is the fact that Tim Simeon from Bomb the Bass used an Atari ST in the studio to produce the Megablast track.
More details can be found at Discogs.com or at kompaktkiste.de.
- Power Play
- Issue 01/1990 - Best Action Game in 1989
- Issue 01/1990 - Best Graphics in 1989
- ST Format
- Issue 01/1990 - Included in the list 50 Games of the Year
- May 1990 (Issue #10) - Included in the list "ST Format's 30 Kick-Ass Classics"
- Issue 01/1991 - Best shoot-'em-up in 1990
- January 1990 (Issue 57) – 'The Best Games of the 80's Decade' (Stuart Wynne)
Related Web Sites
- Abandonia (for DOS, Windows: downloadable releases; additional material)
- Atarimania (for Atari ST: database; downloadable releases; artwork; additional material)
- DJ Oldgames (for different platforms: downloadable releases; additional material )
- Hall of Light (for Amiga: database; manuals; artwork; screenshots; additional material)
- Lemon Amiga (for Amiga: game reviews; music; manuals; additional material)
- My Abandonware (for PC and Amiga: downloadable releases; online versions; additional material)
- Wikipedia (combined platform entry)
- www.gods-country.de (The Bitmap Brothers tribute page for this game)
- Xenon 2: Megablast (Bitmap Brothers' site for Xenon 2: Megablast.)
Amiga Credits (11 people)
Copyright © 1989:
The Bitmap BrothersProgramming:
The Assembly LineGraphics:
Bomb the BassMusic Programming:
Copyright © 1989:
Rhythm King RecordsWritten by:
Into the Dragon"Into the Dragon" by:
Bomb the BassProduced by:
Yoyodyne Propulsion System"Yoyodyne Propulsion System" as:
The Future Begins Tomorrow