DescriptionYume Nikki (jap. Dream Diary) is an exploration-based game made with RPG Maker. The gameplay consists of exploring the dreams of a young girl, Madotsuki.
The game begins in Madotsuki's room, with little to do except for going to bed. Once Madotsuki goes to sleep, she ends up in her "dream world". It is made up of many areas connected with doors and teleporters, filled with surreal, unsettling imagery, strange landscapes and bizarre creatures, most of them completely harmless. The areas are quite diverse, and reaching some of them requires lots of searching.
The main objective of the game is to find and collect 24 "effects", objects which can be obtained by talking to the strange dream denizens. Each "effect" gives some ability, usually a purely cosmetic one - e.g. "long hair" turns Madotsuki's hair long, "towel" wraps her in a towel (and gives her the ability to sneeze cutely), and "knife" allows her to kill creatures.
Madotsuki can pinch her cheek at any time to wake up and go back to her room, where she can write an entry in her dream diary (a way to save the game) before going back to sleep.
- "ゆめにっき" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Game Engine: RPG Maker
- Games made into books
- Games made into comics
- Protagonist: Female
- Yume Nikki series
|Proves that an interesting experience doesn't always require a budget.||Windows||Asinine (1006)|
|GamerTell||Windows||Apr 22, 2009||85 out of 100||85|
|Games Finder||Windows||Nov 06, 2015||7.5 out of 10||75|
|RETRONUKE||Windows||Feb 14, 2018||Unscored||Unscored|
There are currently no topics for this game.
- An official manga series based on the game was serialized in the web manga magazine Manga Life Win+ between May 2013 and March 2014. It was written by the composer Machigerita and drawn by the artist Hitoshi Tomizawa.
- A light novel, titled Yume Nikki: Anata no Yume ni Watashi wa Inai ("I Am Not in Your Dream"), was published in August 2013. It was written by the novelist Akira and illustrated by Ako Arisaka.
Related Web Sites
- Indie Games: The Weblog: Freeware Game Pick: Yume Nikki (Kikiyama) (A post about the game at indiegames.com. )
- KikiyamaHP (Official website (Japanese).)
- Madotsuki's Closet (A Yume Nikki fansite. )
- TVTropes.org: Yume Nikki (A description of the game, and a download link for the English version. )
- Uboachan (An imageboard dedicated to the game. )
- Wikipedia: Yume Nikki (A general article about the game in the open encyclopedia.)
- Yume Nikki Wiki (A collaborative knowledge base about the game. )