DescriptionAlso called NVL games, "digital novels", and "choose-your-own-adventure games": games in which the story is told through text overlaid on a background representing the scene being described. The player's input is confined to periodically making choices which might affect the direction and outcome of the story. Mostly regarded as a branch of Japanese adventure, but Western examples exist as well.
Ayayo's Dive Aflame is the fifth entry in the Hacchake Ayayo-san series. Ayayo, Tomoko, and two other female friends travel...
PS Vita (2015)
At one point of the human history, a computer system was created that could manage everything that happened on Earth....
In the future, cyberspace has become exceedingly dominant. Armed conflicts and cyber-terrorism flourished. Giant mechas known as Simulacrums are utilized...
During the course of the 21st century, nanomachines became more and more prevalent in daily life. Many humans chose to...
RECORDARE is the second episode of Baldr Sky, directly continuing the story that was not concluded in the previous entry....
SEGA Saturn (1996)
Set in the year of 4998, after the war with an alien race, the battle is no longer waged with...
A choose-your-own-adventure for horny frat boys, this automated conversion of the author's novel (also available as a PDF for e-readers)...
Top games by as rated by the press:
- 88 Zero Escape: Volume 2 - Virtue's Last Reward
- 87 Zero Escape: Volume 2 - Virtue's Last Reward
- 87 Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
- 86 999: Nine Hours • Nine Persons • Nine Doors
- 85 Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
- 85 Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
- 82 To the Moon
- 81 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
- 81 Finding Paradise
- 81 Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
Games must have at least a Critic Score of 80 to be considered.
Visual Novel is part of Gameplay. This group of genres contain:
- Action RPG
- Beat 'em up / Brawler
- Board Game
- Cards / Tiles
- Casino / Gambling
- City Building / Construction Simulation
- Dating Simulation
- Falling Block Puzzle
- Game Show / Trivia / Quiz
- Graphic Adventure
- Hack and Slash
- Hidden object
- Interactive Book
- Interactive Fiction / Text Adventure
- Japanese-style Adventure
- Japanese-style RPG (JRPG)
- Life / Social Simulation
- Managerial / Business Simulation
- Martial Arts
- Massively Multiplayer
- Mental training
- Music / Rhythm
- Paddle / Pong
- Party Game
- Puzzle elements
- Quick Time Events (QTEs)
- Rail Shooter
- RPG elements
- Sandbox / Open World
- Survival Horror
- Tactical RPG
- Tactical Shooter
- Tile Matching Puzzle
- Timed Input
- Time Management
- Tower Defense
- Trading / Collectible Card
- Tricks / Stunts
- Vehicle Simulator
- Vehicular Combat Simulator
- Visual Novel
- Word Construction